cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A picture paints a thousand words - though they could be lying

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

A picture paints a thousand words - though they could be lying

I work for a bus company. There was an accident yesterday. Here's the press report. Would you use them?
Read the article, then I will tell you what actually happened.
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Cambridgeshire-school-bus-Nissan-4x4-involved/story-26194519-detail/...
10 REPLIES
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: A picture paints a thousand words - though they could be lying

'Looks' like the bus was over the centre-line of the road, and therefore 'appears' to be the one at fault,but photos are known to be unreliable out of context.
Also appears some of the comments don't realise how heavy a bus is.
John
Community Veteran

Ok, picture from comments, taken from other side of the road.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/oliebol/16229840374/
Now the facts.
1. It was foggy
2. The bus was waiting to turn right, on his side of the road.
3. The road was clear when the bus stared to move.
4. The Bus has his lights on - as do most other vehicles.
Then, the road is clear and the bus starts to turn. As he is turning he sees a car heading towards him, at speed, through the fog with no lights on. He stops,waiting for the car to stop or move round the front (loads of room).
Without braking,or attempting to manoeuver  the car ploughs into the front of the bus.
The conclusion I make is that he didn't see the bus. Wasn't looking.
Just seems a shame that the press and a few 'trolls' should brand the driver and the company as terrible.  Not holding our breaths for any sort of apology or retraction. Angry
jab1
Seasoned Pro

That puts a totally different complexion on the story - and re-enforces my opinion (as a non-driver) that a lot of 'utility vehicle' drivers need to take a special test. All too often I see them taking stupid risks because they seem to think 'I'm in an impregnable fortress, and everyone will give way to me'! Even if I drive recklessly.
John
nanotm
Pro

@jab1
utility vehicles vans and minibuses can all be driven exactly the same as a car, its psv/hgv that require extra training, the modern vehicles are no differen in terms of take off and stopping performance from mini's to maxi's in terms of it all depends on the idiot at the controls....
you could pass your test in a manual drive micro car and immediately be allowed to take a transit van or indeed a half bread on the road, those things are made "squishy" because you can achieve greater take off speeds and maintain higher speeds than those available with hgv or psv, the slower moving less "squishy" vehicles are big enough to stop anything small with nothing bit a minor bump to the outer skin and a panel replacement ....

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
jab1
Seasoned Pro

nanotm - I am totally aware of what you say, and agree - BUT - there is an apparent belief among a large number of  'utiliity vehicle' (and 'white van') drivers that the normal rules and courtesys of the road don't apply to them. That is the point I was trying to make - they therefore, IMO need to be reminded.
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@jab1 I don't see where your coming from at all in the context of DB's original post.
Bus drivers do an extremely responsible and difficult job not only dealing with idiots on the road such IMHO as the driver of the Nissan but also the 50 or so souls behind his head who don't always cooperate. They shouldn't in any way be included with white van man
Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
nanotm
Pro

he's referring to the fact you don't need anything to swap from a 900cc mini that your took your test in to a 6lt v8 4x4 only once you hit d1/c1 do you require extra training....

in some regards they could do something similar to the way bike riders require a new test and training for each cc category of bike but seriously I couldn't see that working, half the people wont even take pass plus training because of the cost and you couldn't bring it in retrospectivly
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
jab1
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: PeterLoftus
@jab1 I don't see where your coming from at all in the context of DB's original post.
Bus drivers do an extremely responsible and difficult job not only dealing with idiots on the road such IMHO as the driver of the Nissan but also the 50 or so souls behind his head who don't always cooperate. They shouldn't in any way be included with white van man
Smiley

Peter - which of my posts are you referriing to?  I know bus/coach drivers do a difficult job responsibly - I was in no way meaning to say the bus driver was at fault, in fact if you read my response after DB's post #3 you will see my ire is directed at the Nissan driver and his/her ilk.
Thanks nanotm - at least you followed my reasoning.
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Good job the bus was stopped when it hit the car coming the other way, could've done a lot more damage.  Shocked
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Kremmen
Rising Star

Bus drivers do indeed have to pass a stricter test. I used to drive a London double decker (DMS) in the late 70's. What most car drivers seem to fail to understand is that buses often have standing passengers so you can't just jam the brakes on or indeed take evasive action.
How many times I heard my colleagues have a car hit them and the driver say 'I didn't see you'. Big, Red, 28 foot long, 14 foot high, 8 foot wide.
Let's be careful out there !