cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A night-time driving ban for young drivers?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A night-time driving ban for young drivers?

A proposal for this was aired today...
Who exactly is going to police this?
One interesting suggestion I heard recently: young drivers cannot be included on their parents insurance until they are 20 years old. That of course will be no problem for those who choose to drive without insurance.
Given the cost of insurance for young new drivers, the idea might be a non-starter.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: A night-time driving ban for young drivers?

My middle son is on his mum's insurance (he had his own car and insurance for a few months, but it was just too expensive).  The insurance company were happy to take the money (and give him a hefty access of course)  When he had an accident (reversing out of a narrow space - the other driver was an older person who said he'd seen him reversing, but thought he could squeeze through the gap) the insurance company immediately started to ask questions about who the "main" driver was.
For the record my wife is the main driver (and has had the same insurance company since getting the car 6 years ago (my son passed his test 2 years ago, and borrows the car sometimes when he's home from uni))
My point is, if the insurance company suspected that my son was the main driver, they should have queried it before accepting the policy, instead of waiting for him to have an accident, and then trying to find a way to wriggle out of it.
John
David_W
Rising Star

I don't think banning kids from driving at night would save lives, how are people supposed to learn to drive at night if they are unable to practise?
The main problem I see with drivers is bad habits.  You don't learn to drive, you learn to pass the driving test, the instructor teaches you the basics and then teaches you how to do the test, you take the test and that's it, off you go happy as Larry.  If we applied a CBT style test to cars though, you take your first test which grants you P plates instead of L, and a minimum of 6 months later (up to 2 years) you have to take a second test with the examiner making sure you haven't picked up any daft habits or your standard of driving hasn't become much worse.  If you can't pass the test within 2 years the licence changes to a full provisional so you have to retake the initial test.
I ride motorbikes and know I've picked up some bad habits from my style of riding (nothing dangerous, just bad habits), we all have our own bad habits.  I also firmly believe that any transport minister who implements new procedures for drivers must be able to pass the procedures him/herself.
TicnTac
Grafter

Would have messed my working life up when I was 17, 8 miles to work at 4am, and back at around 7-8pm  Roll eyes
They just need to bring in proper penalties, you get caught for one thing, bye bye licence, no questions, no court, bye bye licence, you re-take your test, simple as that, zero tolerance, caught without a licence, insurance etc. no road tax, put in the crusher with the car, job done, problem solved!  Roll eyes
Then, and maybe then, young drivers might just think twice before acting a fool on the road, then again, the same if not more older drivers do the same thing, if not worse!  Angry
Community Veteran

I'd like to see the statistics on this.  I assume insurance companies have compiled the information.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: TicnTac
They just need to bring in proper penalties, you get caught for one thing, bye bye licence, no questions, no court, bye bye licence, you re-take your test, simple as that, zero tolerance, caught without a licence, insurance etc.

The problem is that with no court you face problems as effectively you're giving any copper the power to ban you from the road if he's in a bad mood. Effectively he becomes judge, jury and jailer. That isn't a healthy option especially after one recently landed himself in the press for arresting a man who was abusive when pulled over... only to be caught out by the mans son who recorded everything no his mobile and thus proving the driver had said nothing wrong! I appreciate the justice system is very slow and thus most young drivers see it as harmless because it doesn't act swiftly enough on the abusers but we really do not need more of our civil rights to be eroded - especially when it comes to having a legal defence against possible miscarriages of justice. What happens if you have a neighbour who is a copper and you don't get on? - He might not pull you over and ban you but his workmate might.
With regards to penalties there was an article online recently somewhere which revealed that 1 in 4 drivers with 12 points or more has still not been banned from the roads. One driver was still legally driving with 54 (Yes, FIFTY FOUR points). There's no point suggesting penalties if the ones we have already are ineffective.
Sorry Tic but I don't think you've thought that one through very well.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I must agree, the worst offending drivers, the one's that should be banned, licence revoked etc. etc. simply take no notice of any penalties and carry on driving usually without insurance as well...why?, because the odds on getting caught are acceptably low. So the whole sorry cycle begins again.
There was a case recently I'm sure, of a youth (it must be said) appeared in court, surrendered his provisional licence -as he'd just lost it!!- left the court, jumped in a car and drove away, to continue his "career" of stealing cars for joy-riding.
This kind of thing is high-lighted on reality "cop" shows on TV. But it only skims the surface of the problem.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I agree with okrzynska and Petlew 100%
nadger
Rising Star

Whilst I agree that putting a curfew on new drivers might be a good idea I also wonder how many elderly drivers have poor night time vision.
Community Veteran

I would ban all people who wear a hat when driving a car.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Oddball, Why?
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: TicnTac
Would have messed my working life up when I was 17, 8 miles to work at 4am, and back at around 7-8pm  Roll eyes

That was my first thought when I heard this. How are young drivers supposed to get to work in the winter, then, or if they work night shifts?
I've always thought that drivers should have to re-sit their test at intervals, say every five years.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Midnight
@Oddball, Why?

Because a lot of problems are caused by drivers wearing hats
Lurker
Grafter

What about drivers who have two hands?
A lot of crashes are caused by drivers who have two hands...
/Thinks he gets @Oddball's point.
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: Oddball
I would ban all people who wear a hat when driving a car.

No, a hat serves the same purpose as an 'L' plate - it warns you to treat that vehicle with additional caution.
If current hat-wearing drivers knew they were to be banned, then they would stop wearing them. How would we identify them?
It works both ways - if you feel you need others to give you a wide berth, wear a hat.   Cheesy