cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new use for an iPhone - Don't do this at home

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

A new use for an iPhone - Don't do this at home

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9502708/Apple-outlines-eight-Samsung-devices-to-ban.html
Since a US jury found that Samsung had violated parents used in the iPhone, and ordered the South Korean company pay $1.05bn (£664m) in damages at the end of last week, Apple has wasted no time in stipulating which products it wants banning from US shops.
Screen cap added in case it gets changed
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: A new use for an iPhone - Don't do this at home

For an editor you'd expect her to use the spelling and grammer checker wouldn't you ? - Or at least to make an edit!
EDIT: (See, I can do it!): I hope Samsungs folks are ok Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

When I read the title I thought you meant this
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

When I read the title I thought you meant this alternative use for an iPad.
http://www.howtogeek.com/108078/what-you-should-not-do-with-that-shiny-new-ipad-funny-video/
Community Veteran

At least UK courts showed a bit of common sense on what could be covered by patents.
The main thrust of Apples argument is ludicrous as the shape of a touchscreen phone is down to the LCD and to keep it as compact as possible, with no frills, it's going to be a rectangle with round corners.
In the end it's bad news for the consumer. If the ban and fine stands in America then Samsung will have to put up prices including the LCD displays it provides to Apple. It would be price rises all round.
Maybe Samsung will do the decent thing and just stick it to the yanks. Especially as China and India are the rising markets with the US only an also ran.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: billnotben
In the end it's bad news for the consumer. If the ban and fine stands in America then Samsung will have to put up prices including the LCD displays it provides to Apple. It would be price rises all round.

Don't be silly, for Apple and Samsung, it's win-win all round.
Think about it.. if they put up prices together they'll be accused of price fixing and investigated by 2 - 3 countries. If one sues the other who supplies them with the parts they need then the supplier puts up their costs and profit and then so does the other company. End result? - Both make more. No rigging scandal to worry about and it could scare off the other competition.
You'll notice Apple only did it to Samsung who supply parts to them and not another genuine competitor.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
David_W
Rising Star

Saw an interesting article on this today, apparently the jury didn't do it's job properly at all, even a group of 12 tech heads wouldn't be able to reach a judgement in such a short amount of time, plus they awarded damages where they ruled there was no infringement as well as used the $1b as a punishment and not as an indication of monetary loss.  In other words the jury went in to "debate" and randomly ticked almost every box in Apples favour and none in Samsungs favour.
As for the shape/corners I think the jury actually did vote that Apple couldn't patent an obvious design such as a rectangle with rounded corners which probably knocked 200k off the fine!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
Think about it..

Yes I've thought about and it makes no sense.
In effect Apple breaks Samsungs legs but then go on to provide a wheelchair so they're best friends and share any damages.
Then they all live happily ever after counting their higher profits.
Sounds like a fairy story.
Big business always strikes me more as a smile and a stab. Not a stab then a smile.