cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new hot battery technology

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

A new hot battery technology

There's a BBC report on a new battery technology based on molten metal and salt. This one uses lead (with a dash of antimony), sodium chloride and lithium.  It runs at 450 Deg C, which is cooler than other molten metal batteries.
It could be useful to store that wind and tidal generated electric power,
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: A new hot battery technology

You could also boil a kettle on it, and make some tea.... while the cake in the biscuit tin, also sitting on top of the battery, is cooking  !...  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Dodgy as a car battery though. You'd need to start the engine to warm the battery ....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well why don't we just stick some big fat water pipes down inside an actual volcano and then use the steam generated from all the heat to drive a turbine? - I mean surely that would be quicker and simpler!
And before anyone says the heat would melt the pipes, how do you think nasa keep the nozzles on the space shuttles intact? - They run something super cool through them..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

And just days after I say it  Roll eyes

(Not that we have any volcanoes in the UK you understand - thats what they've told us for years on end!!!)
Community Veteran

I was reading in the news during the past day or so that it is proposed to do this for Stoke On Trent - I believe there is an ancient volcano deep below.
Edit: Linky
nanotm
Pro

geo thermal power would if viable be a massive boost to the UK, safer than nuclear cleaner than anything else and completely dependable as a renewable energy source, hell if they build it right it could in theory create a baseline load capability for the entire country that would run endlessly but doubtless the big energy firms would cry that any such plant was an abomination as it would force them to cut costs quite savagely and so undermine their right to keep growing profits....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

unfortunately geothermal power generation isn't really viable on a large scale in the UK http://nora.nerc.ac.uk/15965/1/GeothermalProspectsUK.pdf
Community Veteran

How did I know OJ would almost certainly have info on this lol
nanotm
Pro

the report states that the possibility of using geothermal solutions was largely dropped in the early 80's due to pressure from existing energy market operators and the hydrocarbon industries.....and worse they now need to conduct proper exploration of the viability with real data sets not imagined ones from the 1980's best guesstimations ....
Community Veteran

That refers to combined heat and power from shallow depth drilling
The only areas where temperatures suitable for pure power generation  are shown in figure 2 and they are derived from a series of test drillings and even there the temperature differential is much lower than would usually be considered viable given the very high cost of drilling to 7km deep to get suitable temperatures
From the report
The  Geothermal  Energy  Program  demonstrated  that temperatures > 150 ºC are only found at great depths and that  conventional  geothermal  generation  of  electricity (within  the  depth  range  of  2-3  km)  is  not  possible  in  the UK.
nanotm
Pro

the y also say that any bore hole for measurement of less than 2km depth is pointless and current holes are between 200 and 300meters, and there are no accurate measurements of greater depths and the prediction chart of 7km could be wildly inaccurate because of all sorts of "factors"
so I'm inclined to be of the mind the original research was half hearted under funded and botched because it didn't meet political or financial agenda's of the period in time when they were undertaken and as such any resultant "data" was fictional based on assumptions that have already proved completely unreliable probably as a result of financial and political pressure brought to bear at the time the various reports were produced to make the whole thing seem non viable because it would upset the status quo far to much for the capitalist's
Community Veteran

Perhaps instead of bringing up your usual conspiracy theory you could actually provide some facts
The geothermal gradient calculation is well known and as such the temperatures at depth can be estimated with a reasonable degree of accuracy
http://www.bgs.ac.uk/research/energy/geothermal/ gives a bit more detail and shows very clearly that the potential is actually fairly limited as it is in areas where there is supplementary heat available from radioactive decay in the granite
nanotm
Pro

I read the report it gives the facts I comment on them and then you say that I'm wrong by producing a school education page that details the exact same temperature gradient supposition mentioned in the report provided by your own link as being wrong why would I need to produce anything when you already provided the information....
Community Veteran

No you don't
You cherry pick bits and then say that because the drillings were less than 2km deep the calculated/estimated temperatures are invalid
I have yet to see any facts which backup that statement