Did you mean: 

A neat little trick.....

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

A neat little trick.....

.......and one not seen before.

It's a 2-gang moulded converter switch.

For some reason unknown to myself (I was probably in a hurry) I only put a single wall plug in the spare bedroom and just enough for a reading lamp - or so I thought. Now of course the grand-kids want to be able to plug in their smart phones and whatnot so rather than an adaptor I just changed it for this.

Fits well enough and secure even on a cavity wall in a little used room.

s-l225.jpg

PS. Another neat item was this little gadget, a double usb charger with plug surge socket which also doubles as a neat little night light. Gotta keep the kids happy Smiley

download.jpg

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
11 REPLIES
RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: A neat little trick.....

@Minivanman wrote:

.......and one not seen before.

It's a 2-gang moulded converter switch.

Most standard 2-gang surface-mount pattress boxes have a set of holes in the back which are spaced at the same distance as that between the 2 mounting holes on single-gang back boxes, so you don't actually need a special converter to do the job.  Wink

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Never noted that @RobPN

Have a few spare doubles and can see no holes at the same distance. Interesting.

Can you post a picture? Thumbs Up 

RobPN
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

Have a few spare doubles and can see no holes at the same distance. Interesting.

Can you post a picture? Thumbs Up 

I'll see if I've got any spares out in the garage tomorrow. Wink

The holes I'm referring to are of the type intended for countersunk-head type screws and there are usually 4 of them arranged in approximately a 'southern cross' type pattern so the 2-gang pattress could be mounted horizontally or vertically over a single-gang back box.

Just had a quick search online to save me looking tomorrow and came across this example

Maybe I should have said 'many' instead of 'most', although I think most of the ones I've used (although that's not that many) in the last few years have had those holes as described. Smiley

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@RobPN

Thanks, and never knew that.

Old dogs and new tricks eh Smiley

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 45

They'll be thinking of sliced bread next.

I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Community Veteran

And here's me using BS546 still... Funny

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

And still available from the likes of Amazon Cool smiley

Community Veteran

Most likely due to the fact that theatres still use the 5A and 15A plugs for the lighting rigs, aswell as there being plenty of foreign sources of them given India and South Africa still use them too (ex-colonies after all!), but BS546 is handy, wire up your power tools with the plugs and it stops people borrowing them... Funny

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@RobPN

The couple I have found in my shed have not got those extra holes Rob but even so, not sure if they would be strong or robust enough to withstand much use - although I'll admit the converter I have now fitted could be better but as said, it's only for the spare bedroom so it'll get little use. 

Something to watch out for in the future anyways so thanks for the tip. Thumbs Up

RobPN
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

... couple I have found in my shed have not got those extra holes Rob but even so, not sure if they would be strong or robust enough to withstand much use - although I'll admit the converter I have now fitted could be better but as said, it's only for the spare bedroom so it'll get little use. 

Although the holes under discussion are conveniently placed there's nothing to stop the holes at the ends/corners being used in addition or instead of (if you wish to mount one over a single-gang sunk back box).  Wink

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

True Thumbs Up