cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A mosquito bites!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A mosquito bites!

A mozzie has had the temerity to take a fancy (understandably perhaps) to Cheryl Cole while she was in Tanzania recently.
Whilst having a sort of fatherly sympathy for Ms Cole, one would gather from the press and TV news coverage that she is the only person to have ever contracted Malaria in this way.
It so happens that a bunch of 6th formers who inhabit my coach daily are off to Tanzania on a school trip at the end of term, all of whom have been dosing themselves (sometimes sickeningly) with a quantity of everything going to counter catchable diseases including Malaria. There was one question this morning was why? didn't Ms Cole do so...does she feel in her cosseted  high life-style that mosquito's wouldn't dare to bite her
Prior to the diagnosis, it was thought that Ms Cole was suffering from exhaustion. Exactly what is it about her life-style that could possibly cause her to be exhausted I wonder!! Is it the queueing for first class travel and the long walks from check-in to first-class lounge before her seemingly incessant round of holidays. Or is it the strength sapping counting of her millions that causes her to be exhausted perhaps.
I should be so lucky to be exhausted in this way...
Anyway I wish her a speedy recovery. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
24 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: A mosquito bites!

From Daily Mail
Mrs Cole, 27, had taken a full course of malaria tablets. But certain forms of the virus are resistant to drugs.

Not a fan of Mrs Cole but wish her the best anyway.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I wonder how many other people contact malaria and get over it without any fuss Undecided
Community Veteran

Not necessarily that many, it can be very difficult to get rid of.
My father had it; caught during the war despite using whatever was the best protection the military could provide at the time.
He was eventually declared "clear" many years later but suffered various lingering side-effects for the rest of his life.
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
From Daily Mail
Mrs Cole, 27, had taken a full course of malaria tablets. But certain forms of the virus are resistant to drugs.

<pedantic mode on>Trust the tabloid to get it wrong, malaria is not caused by a virus, it is a protozoan Roll eyes. <pedantic mode off>
Community Veteran

Quote from: Denzil
the tabloid

At least you didn't refer to it as press, newspaper or journalism.  Embarrassed
Fixes: 47

It is the celebrity strain of Malaria which I understand to be particularly rare in East Africa.
...Except perhaps in the poorest parts Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I caught malaria when I was three. Not something you shrug off. I survived but a lot of my local contemporaries didn't.
You can get it even if you do take the preventatives and some of the new one's are barely tolerable. In my time it was chloroquine and my mother broke the tablets into infant sized pieces. Ho hum.
Gabe
Fixes: 47

My late wife contracted Malaria in Uganda (where she was born) and clearly remembered the incessant doses of Quinine administered at the time.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

It very nearly makes me like Bill Gates.
"You appear to be trying to eradicate malaria. Can I help?"
Gabe
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
My late wife contracted Malaria in Uganda (where she was born) and clearly remembered the incessant doses of Quinine administered at the time.

That's when it was still served with the Gin?
itsme
Grafter

As someone who have been to a country that has malaria I know that we thought long and hard whether to take the drugs. As most courses of the drugs have to be started 1 to 2 weeks before and a similar time after being in an affected country and the side effects these can cause you are possibly looking at several weeks of functioning under par.
The country in question was Nepal and the first time I went was to do a whitewater expedition and we seeked advice from the local guides who were informing us there will not be a problem. We know that it would not be a problem in Kathmandu or getting to the river and most of the river down as the height was over a 1000 feet. But the last few days we be at a lower attitude and going through a part of Nepal which had mosquitoes. We started the course of drugs but we all stopped when we were in Nepal on the reinsurance of the guides.
The next time I went back to Nepal, this time walking, at the conclusion of the main walk we were going to spend several days in the inner terai region and it does not help when doing your research whether to  take the drugs when you cannot find any recorded incidents of people contracting malaria. Then you find out later because.
The lowest Himalayan Foothills and Inner Terai or Doon Valleys of Nepal and India are highly malarial due to a warm climate and marshes sustained during the dry season by groundwater percolating down from the higher hills. Malarial forests were intentionally maintained by the rulers of Nepal as a defensive measure. Humans attempting to live in this zone suffered much higher mortality than at higher elevations or below on the drier Gangetic Plain.
However, the Tharu people had lived in this zone long enough to evolve resistance via multiple genes. Medical studies among the Tharu and non-Tharu population of the Terai yielded the evidence that the prevalence of cases of residual malaria is nearly seven times lower among Tharus. The basis for their resistance to malaria is most likely a genetic factor. Endogamy along caste and ethnic lines appear to have confined these to the Tharu community.[135] Otherwise these genes probably would have become nearly universal in South Asia and beyond because of their considerable survival value and the apparent lack of negative effects comparable to Sickle Cell Anemia.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I've had malaria several times (India, Africa, South America). Last time was 2008 in Costa Rica, I don't take any anti malaria drugs, not recommended for long term (I've often been away  for 3-6 months at a time). I invest in a malaria testing kit ('bout the size of a matchbox costs some like £2) has 10 glass slides plus the gubbins for taking a sample of blood, (just a pin prick in the end of the thumb and smear on a glass slide wait a few moments for the colour to change).
If I have any doubt at all I test.
If the results prove +ve I take 3 fansidar (Carry a pack with me at all times........not available in the UK, but most tropical chemists sell it over the counter, has a shelf life of 4-5 years), normally knocks it on the head within 12 hours, feel a bit weak for 24 hours. There are supposed to be some side effects (But I recon I'm OK - SWMBO may disagree)
What is more of a concern Mosquitoes are vector agents for a number of diseases including  a whole bunch of Encephalitides/encephalitis, West Nile virus, Dengue Fever, Rift Valley Fever, Yellow Fever, some of the Encephalitides are pretty nasty. Dengue is as common a Malaria but it is transmitted by the Aedes aegypti which feed exclusively during daylight hours.

Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
Not necessarily that many, it can be very difficult to get rid of.

Indeed yes, should this really turn out to be malaria for Ms Cole (and the last I heard ((I've been out all day)) it hadn't been confirmed) it will probably be something that plagues her for the rest of her life in one way or another. I could be wrong but doesn't it bar her from being a blood donor? And life assurance companies take a dim view of it as well I believe, travel insurance will probably suddenly get more expensive.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
I wonder how many other people contact malaria and get over it without any fuss Undecided

In fairness to Ms Cole, it does seem to be her entourage and spokespeople who seem to be making the fuss, could well be of course that Cheryl is really too sick to speak for herself.
Its what they are paid for I suppose (isn't there another thread about non-jobs somewhere)
Edit: Seen the news for the first time today, and it seems malaria has been confirmed. Er! is that news?