Fixes: 1

Re: A little motoring advice needed.

Catch a Bus (or Tram).
Community Veteran

Quote from: NedLudd
You ask the cops then!

No need. There is no such law.
There is however a relatively recent change in motoring law regarding continuous insurance so the situations where a car would otherwise be totally uninsured are much less than they used to be, but they do exist and totally legally.
Community Veteran

My current cert specifically states "This is provided the owner of the car has valid insurance in force on that car .............".
Last years cert makes no mention.
So, I believe that this something relatively new, but will appear on certs as they are renewed.
Watching the various cop programs on TV confirms that the 'other' car must be insured in its own right. Cops have impounded plenty of cars for not having valid insurance in these circumstances.
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
Quote from: NedLudd
You ask the cops then!

No need. There is no such law.

Kindly explain how you know that!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

You're the one who thinks there is - provide a definitive reference to the legislation, or accept that you're mistaken.  Cool
Just because SOME insurers have started to do this doesn't make it a legal requirement.  Wink
And by the way, if the owner has no insurance and the driver (NOT being the owner) has insurance that says he can only drive a vehicle which is also insured by the owner then it's not insured.
In which case the Police will deal with an uninsured vehicle (and driver) as appropriate. Presumably those are the examples you're thinking of.
Community Veteran

Perhaps this will clear the matter up!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

No, it doesn't. I referred to that earlier.
Quote from: HPsauce
There is however a relatively recent change in motoring law regarding continuous insurance so the situations where a car would otherwise be totally uninsured are much less than they used to be, but they do exist and totally legally.

One of those situations is on the page you linked to - I suggest you read it carefully.  Wink
Community Veteran

I give up! You're just too pig-headed!
I've already said that the cops on TV have said that it is so.
But, you continue your way and I'll continue mine.
Geoff,
York.