Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A job for life comes to an end

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

A job for life comes to an end

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-14789036
The painting of the Forth Bridge, a job that is famously never finished, is about to come to an end.
Network Rail, which manages the bridge, said contractors will leave the iconic structure in December and will not need to paint it again for 25 years.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: A job for life comes to an end

In probably half that time BR will be cap in hand to the government to help pay repairs to what will be a badly corroded and weakened bridge.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Hopefully it will be the Scottish Government who will pay Roll eyes
Denzil
Grafter

The idea is that modern paint systems last much longer than the old fashioned ones. I am quite happy to believe that.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: billnotben
In probably half that time BR will be cap in hand to the government to help pay repairs to what will be a badly corroded and weakened bridge.

No.. BR (Now known as BRBR - British Railway Board Residuary Ltd) will just be tasked to sell it off as scrap.. as is their job.. cleaning up the old remains of railways that the governments keep targetting for vandalism.
Quote from: Denzil
The idea is that modern paint systems last much longer than the old fashioned ones. I am quite happy to believe that.

I wouldn't.. having worked at a railway site a while back that was relatively new with paintwork that was also supposed to last 25 years, i saw the corrosion and rust all over it.. it was what.. 15 years old. They ended up sueing the company that painted it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The paint may be guaranteed for 25 years but the companies making it will probably go under in 25 months.