cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A hole in the road

jmd
Grafter

A hole in the road

Well, 10 days ago a couple of chaps from a company contracted by Severn trent came along and tested  every stopcock for leaks.  So they came and told me firstly that I had a leak but then he came back and said it was in the road part of pipe which was not my responsibility.  So they painted pretty blue lines across road to indicate where the leak was.
Today a large van arrived with 2 men from Severn Trent water came and spent a while studying these pretty blue lines before digging up area at other side  of road and towards middle of road - they blocked van and dig off with barriers. I asked how long it would take and they said  that it would take the whole day. Then they kept asking me to turn water on to see when they had turned it off.  My neighbour came rushing out as they managed to turn his off - but eventually they got mine off.  After some time of digging and then putting new tubing down [not pipe] a very very big lorry came along and dumped soil and tarmac over the hole they had made and then went off.  Then men then started on my side of road and also the pavement,  Eventually the big lorry came back and repeated the performance having driven almost onto my front garden and right behind my car [they never asked if I had to go out!].  I was then told the water was back on.
So I thought they had finished but looking outside I see that the hole in road is only partly filled in and has barriers round it but no warning lights?  Should there be - does anyone know? 
Fortunately, I can now get out of my drive to go out but am concerned about other cars coming along road as it does bend at this point.
I assume they will return in morning to finish job..................
5 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: A hole in the road

try your local Police, it should be signed and illuminated.  the Police WILL be interested
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I don't think the police will be fussed but the local highways dept probably will be as it is their responsibility/property.
Yes it should have barriers and some flashing lights. We had a similar incident like this in Feb and the car went straight into a drain which had been dug up with no barriers or warning lights in a car park which had its lighting turned off! It's caused MASSIVE problems many months later and all because some lazy little prat of a contractor couldn't be bothered to put up some warnings.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jmd
Grafter

Oh, therre are barriers and cones - but no lights!
Community Veteran

For a good read on what is required for in the way of signage, etc for roadworks you need a copy of the Traffic Signs Manual Chapter 8: Roadworks and temporary situations (2009) Part 2: Operations.  Part 1 covers the planning side.
During the hours of darkness a road danger lamp showing an amber light should be placed at regular
spacing as indicated in Table A1.3. Lamps should be spaced at 9m intervals on tapers. Flashing lamps may
be used only where there is a system of street lighting on a road having a speed limit of 40 mph or less.

jmd
Grafter

Oh well, no one ran into the barriers/hole and this morning a different pair of workmen with a different lorry have been along to fill the hole in with soil and tarmac.  Hope they finish shortly as I will need to get car out of drive!