cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A hole in the ground.

Highlighted
Pro

Re: A hole in the ground.

@Strat  I can remember reading one of those American pulp Sci-Fi comic books back in the mid 60s, where they shrunk the entire population of the world down with a "shrinking ray" to give us all more room.

Should be interesting to find ourselves convenient prey for various insects, spiders, birds and animals! 

I suspect that even then it wasn't a new idea.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

That reminded me of one of my favourite old classic films "The Incredible Shrinking Man" and that spider.

Highlighted
Fixes: 459

My information came from a science documentary some time ago talking about the atom and how much space there was between the various Neutrons, Protons and Electrons etc.

The population of the planet and the orange were used as an attention grabbing example.

Don't forget that Batman and Robin had to rehydrate the United World Organization's Security Council after The Penguin dehydrated them.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 18

I'm betting that this was some time before Quantum Theory was widely appreciated?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@shutter wrote:

now here`s an idea

apparently, there are a number of mines around the world, where HUGE holes have been dug, so big that you can have big hgv size lorries driving about on two lane roads around the mining site.

Some of these mines have been abandoned ( e.g. coal mines in Wales and elsewhere) (probably not "that" big...but  ) which leave some great holes.... now... if we needed to house people, they could be put down there !...

I'm not really sure i like your way of thinking shutter. In essence what you're saying is that we should hide those who can't afford housing deep down in a hole in the ground where nobody can see them? - Is that right?

That's dictator talk if you ask me - especially when you use the word "put" - "they could be put down there" - not offered, not advised, not suggested... but put - which indicates a use of force.

I think you'd maybe better off leaving the global housing strategy to those who have a bit more experience in the problem.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@7up  Nah... not what I meant at all.... just the way you read it ! ! !...

I was using a generalisation of the idea of .... "there`s a load of space..... lets use it."  

the word "put" was not intended to indicate  "that`s where you go.. you have not choice".. more about...

a response to a question  such as..." where are you going to build new homes "  ..... we can put them on flood plains, or out on the yorkshire moors, in in the highlands of scotland... or we "can put them in the holes in the ground".   ok ?

and again... NO... it was not a means of making low wage earners live somewhere they did not want to..

so sorry if you thought I was a corbynista...   far from it...

Highlighted
Community Veteran

But it is what you wrote shutter. Is it not?

I'll agree that mines should be found other uses but most certainly not for putting people into for accomodation. 

Storage maybe (of items not living organic matter), nuclear waste, tourist attractions, even using as a form of transport from one side of an area to another... but most certainly not accomodation.

There are many other ways of solving the accomodation crisis however nobody seems overly keen on implementing any of them due to human greed. In fact just lately the leaders at the top are on the war path against those who live in mobile homes such as campers - giving police new powers to prosecute them. Why? Because it's cheap living, no council tax, no taxable rent (or if there is it'll be cheap or the farmer will take cash etc). They can't be having that...

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I wouldn't mind having an ROC post to live in, nice underground private space...

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@twocvbloke wrote:

I wouldn't mind having an ROC post to live in, nice underground private space...

Must admit i've thought that a few times.. Legally speaking you could take over a disused / abandoned one but it's a long 10 year stint before you can claim adverse posession of it. Would be a bit of a problem in some ways too such as condensation, heating, no windows, etc

On the underground subject though, underground tunnelling is infact one area that is pretty much unregulated. You can (if you so wanted) dig a tunnel under a street / road, school playground etc.. and it's pretty much legal. The DM site had a story a few years back of an old boy who had dug down below his house, hollowed out his garden and then expanded under the road outside causing it to cave in. The authorities (from memory) couldn't prosecute him as he'd legally done nothing wrong but they did fill in the tunnel under the road and pavement.

I struggled to dig the cat a grave a couple of years back - got 2 feet down (about 1.5x1.5 ft) and it was hard work - the space was confined though - but it goes to show it's hard work!

Highlighted
Pro

@Strat  Was that one of the (probably) Christmas Lectures back in the 80s. The one where (IIRC) they talked about the potential amount of energy in an ice cube?

@VileReynard  They'me little devils them quantums ay um? 😀

I thought part of the idea of science fiction was to explore technologies and ideas beyond our present knowledge or capabilities. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@7up wrote:

Must admit i've thought that a few times.. Legally speaking you could take over a disused / abandoned one but it's a long 10 year stint before you can claim adverse posession of it. Would be a bit of a problem in some ways too such as condensation, heating, no windows, etc

A lot of them are officially abandoned, some sold off by government, some have been taken over are in private hands (either as a "nuisance" land feature on farmland, or preserved as a piece of history), but the rest are just left to the hands of the vandal... ☹️

As for heating, ventilation and lighting, well there are solutions for those, the ventilation is actually surprisingly good for what they are as is, just needs the manual sump pump being replaced with something like an electric bilge pump on a boat, plop it down the sump hole and sorted. Heat can be provided with electrickery, not that hard to deal with so long as the local grid supplier can connect it up to the mains, same goes for light, just add suitable lighting that can also provide a decent bit of blue spectrum for health reasons, but daylight itself, you could retrofit the ventilation shafts with some mirrored ducting so it could reflect daylight down into the bunker in both the main room and the bog room... 😁

Yes, I have spent way too much time thinking about such things, mostly while watching IKS Exploration on youtube and staring at this picture too... 😂

Royal Observer Corps. Post...Royal Observer Corps. Post...

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Some of these underground places already exist.....remember all those secret bunkers across the country, they were all fixed up with heating, lighting and all the necessary items for existence for months ahead.

I recall one near us being sold to a member of the public, not sure what he wanted it for.

Living underground would not be for me, well as long as I am alive.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@7up wrote:

But it is what you wrote shutter. Is it not?

It is wot i rote !.... but... it is your interpretation of wot i rote..

I was making a "lighthearted" suggestion, that... if we were to "implode" all the mines  and big holes in the ground... especially those under the sea... then more land would be created, by the sea levels being lowered ,due to the water of the sea draining into the imploded mines ..

( incidentally... the new land level would be near the beach... so the rich and famous could be put there,  Roll_eyes to have their multi-million pound hovels constructed....leaving lots of loverly homes available for the less better off to be put there....   GrinGrinGrin instead of down the mines..... Shocked

( thought I had made that point quite clear.... but.... hey .... beauty is in the eye of the beholder,... so I assume a parallel equivalent could be given to wot i rote and how you, ( or others ) mis read the humurous content therein. )Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

Some of these underground places already exist.....remember all those secret bunkers across the country, they were all fixed up with heating, lighting and all the necessary items for existence for months ahead.

And now, the majority of them, stripped out, flooded, vandalised, burnt out and sealed up, some do end up in the hands of commercial interests (E.G. mobile phone mast operators), the rest though, just like ROC posts, gone to rack & ruin because the government just held onto them and "forgot" they existed...