A history lesson - re: DOS

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

A history lesson - re: DOS

4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: A history lesson - re: DOS

I remember working on a Amstrad computer (marketed as a word processor) which ran CP/M+. I even taught basic business computing to YTS students using similar Amstrads. We had to use special packages because they wouldn't run standard DOS programmes.  Smiley
I also was sold a PC DOS machine when I didn't know the difference. Shocked
I believe CP/M was originally developed for the US Navy so had to be put in the public domain. So MS's deal was a "rip off" of a "rip off" of a "rip off"  Grin
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Ah the days of SneakerNet.
I remember setting up a 5 PC network (1MHz CAT1 cabling) using DR-DOS running as virtual machines (timesharing really) with networked telex modems for a Middle East construction company; using wordstar and networked printers too. That was around 1992 if I recollect correctly.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
I remember setting up a 5 PC network (1MHz CAT1 cabling) using DR-DOS running as virtual machines (timesharing really). That was around 1992 if I recollect correctly.

Sounds familiar, wasn't with ABV Rock was it? Based in Sweden but main work was in Saudi Arabia.
Community Veteran

Nope - it was a company of Lebanese origin who temporarily shifted to the UK during the troubles out in Beirut. Thankfully the system wasn't totally reliable and they saw the importance of paying the installation fees promptly.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.