cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A harmonious life for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

A harmonious life for me.

What do I mean by the subject line? Well I'm referring to the Logitech Harmony Remote Control that I bought the other day. It was the easiest thing I've setup in a while, as it's all based on the Manufacturer and Model of the devices you want to control. Add to that the fact that its linked to my Alexa account entertainment has never been easier.

I can now tell my Alexa Show 5 to "Watch TV" and with that my TV, Humax and Bose SoundBar all turn on. When I'm done, they all go off, I can even use the handheld remote to turn my Smart Home switches on and off, control the brightness and colour of my Philips Hue LEDs and that's only a tiny bit of what it's capable of.

There are some things in life that just make life that bit easier and for me this is one of them.

10 REPLIES 10
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: A harmonious life for me.

I have an existing super computer, that can do all that...

It`s called a brain.... and if I want to adjust anything that is difficult, I use the stand-by system...

The wife ! Cheesy

Minesapint
Pro

They're good. We've got a couple of the simpler ones, and it's dead easy to synchronise them in the software, and add on any actions you want etc. A couple of our bits of equipment had duff remotes as well. So it was an easy way to sort that problem out.

Much easier than the usual "universal" type remote.

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Won't be long before people have Smart Armchairs, which deliver food & drink, have "waste extraction" built in, TV & internet displays on each arm, and can recline & automatically wrap you up in a duvet for bedtime, you never need to do anything ever again yourself... Crazy

"Alexa, wipe my ............."

Anonymous
Not applicable

@twocvbloke I'm so looking forward to that day. Thumbs_Up

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

All these gadgets sound good.......

Wait until they have a fit and fail to work properly, you will spend more time and even money trying to get them sorted....

Got one of those nest thermostats about a year ago....first 6 months great...turn water or heating on from anywhere inthe world providing you had a internet connection.....

Knows if you are in or out providing you have the app on your phone, so Mrs goes out, thermostat goes off but...I'm still in!

Decides to come on irrespective of time or tempature set......

Total waste of time, just wish I had stuck to the old fashioned timer & Thermostat....cheaper and easier to use...

No more daft gadgets for me.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

A reliance just a bit to far for me, and God's forbid that should electricity disappear from on lives for whatever reason we would not have a clue about doing things for ourselves. Wink

I have a clear memory of thinking "really?" when television remote controls first came out. Just another pointless gadget and crikey, what's so hard about getting up out of your chair and changing channels!

Mind you, twiddling those tuning knobs and in the right order was real pain in the proverbial. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Minesapint
Pro

The trouble is that you can't really control a modern TV or PVR without a remote. Gone are the days of a big clunky knob on the front of the set to select any of the three channels, and "Put it on BBC 1 when you get up, will you?"

I literally couldn't get a remote for the PVR when that went duff, and that was despite me having mended it a couple of times with ally foil glued on the underside of the buttons.

These remotes really are good. You just connect to the computer to program, and it remembers your setup, so if you want to add a remote it's a piece of cake. The other universal remotes I've tried aren't as good. SImple as that.

Alexa though is a step too far for me. I don't need it or want it. My remotes aren't "smart".

Nest, and all the other "smart" heating devices. No thanks. I'll stick with the timer and thermostat setup.

I don't want to complicate life any more than necessary.

But really, it's no good anyone on here saying they're a Luddite. We're not communicating by letters carried in a forked stick by a runner here. Or accessing the internet through Bowden cables to to our Babbage difference engines. Crazy   

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Minesapint wrote:

But really, it's no good anyone on here saying they're a Luddite. We're not communicating by letters carried in a forked stick by a runner here. Or accessing the internet through Bowden cables to to our Babbage difference engines. Crazy   

I`m a "part time" luddite, then...... still using Morse Code.... to communicate with Australia and other continents, but with the internet... Probably still using the undersea cables though ! ! ! ...

Minesapint
Pro

@shutter  Yes but that's only being a part time Luddite. Smiley Most of us are that really.

As I said, I avoid (what I see as) unnecessary complication like the plague.

Hate all the computers in modern cars for example, but that's how they are.

Some things you have to accept, some you can avoid.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

In 10 years time when there's a brain reading device in your ear canal you'll look back at this post about voice assistants and remote control and wonder how the hell you managed with tech that took so many seconds to get stuff done lol.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!