Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A great way to retire!!

jmd
Grafter

A great way to retire!!

From an email I was sent!

Outside England 's Bristol Zoo there is a parking lot for 150 cars and 8 buses. For 25 years, it’s parking fees were managed by a very pleasant attendant. The fees were for cars (£1.40),for buses (about £7).
Then, one day, after 25 solid years of never missing a day of work, he just didn't show up; so the Zoo Management called the City Council and asked it to send them another parking agent.

The Council did some research and replied that the parking lot was the Zoo's own responsibility.
The Zoo advised the Council that the attendant was a City employee.
The City Council responded that the lot attendant had never been on the City payroll.

Meanwhile, sitting in his villa somewhere on the coast of Spain or France or Italy ...  is a man who'd apparently had a ticket machine installed completely on his own and then had simply begun to show up every day, commencing to collect and keep the parking fees, estimated at about £560 per day -- for 25 years.

Assuming 7 days a week, this amounts to just over 7 million pounds ... and no one even knows his name.

Luvely Jubbly!!!!!

8 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: A great way to retire!!

Very enterprising of him Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nadger
Rising Star

Quite a few, possible 20, years ago there was a Tina Turner concert at Woburn Abbey.
Some enterprising lads got reels of tickets and charged £5 a car, parking fee - needless to say it was actually free.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: jmdlp
From an email I was sent!

It's an urban legend. It always is.  Wink
http://tinyurl.com/l7qbkt
Not young enough to know everything
jmd
Grafter

urban legend - oh well, nice story though! Smiley
Community Veteran

Yes a nice story.  Makes you think Wink Wink
Community Veteran

As Terry Pratchett has said, the reason urban legends persist, is that they are always true (for a given value of "true")  Crazy
Somewhere in the multiverse, there is a guy living off the earnings from a car park he didn't own.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You call it a legend yet I can honestly say it DOES happen (I have contacts). Admittedly the Zoo tale does seem too good to be true and in reality a bit unrealistic but I can honestly tell you that there have been similar REAL versions.
I know of one council that had 2 parking supervisors many moons ago.. They used to empty the P&D machines daily and take the money away to the bank. One day both accidentally called in sick so the staff wondered what to do. They got the keys, went and collected the cash themselves and took it to the finance department who then asked "Wheres this from then and how come we've never seen it before?" - The scam had been going on over 10 years. Needless to say both got busted by the fuzz.
I could tell you others.. which are from credible sources but I'd prefer not to give away too much about myself..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Like I said - for a given value of "true"  Roll eyes