cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A great improvement on HS2

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

A great improvement on HS2

In the Telegraph letters someone has made a great suggestion on HS2 - use the money to give FTTP to all premises in the UK. A much better idea than spending  at least £29 Billion on knocking 30 minutes off the journey time to Birmingham.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: A great improvement on HS2

Even better idea would be to get a high speed train link across some of the Northern Cities in the country, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds etc rather than HS2
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: AlaricAdair
In the Telegraph letters someone has made a great suggestion on HS2 - use the money to give FTTP to all premises in the UK.

Believe it or not, not everyone is worried about having super fast broadband. I'm an internet addict..  but i can live with 3G speeds. What I would agree with is that everyone needs some form of basic adsl - eg BT get their act together and stop people relying on dialup or 3G by force because their profits are more important.
Quote from: AlaricAdair
A much better idea than spending  at least £29 Billion on knocking 30 minutes off the journey time to Birmingham.

Agreed.. but you realise that its the business people who are important here don't you? Why should they loose 30 minutes of their lives when they can have shorter trips to their conferences about how to screw the rest of us to satisfy their greed?
IMO the money would be better spent building affordable housing or solving some other quality of life affecting problem. Maybe even reopen up more old railway routes so that people have access to better jobs..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

It was suggested somewhere that by the time HS2 and HS3 are build and running, most businesses would be using video conferencing and wouldn't need a hi-speed rail connection.
They would sit in their boardrooms where all relevant personnel would be available and no stress of a long journey.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'd like to have FTTP someday, but, I would prefer to see the damage done by beeching reversed first to get the country flowing again, so people can get around easily without the need for a car... Smiley
Community Veteran

HS2 is in affect obselete.
it was something needed perhaps in the year 2000 but not 2015. especially with so few stops as well.
The money for a national FTTP I agree would be far more sensible, but I think the real reason for HS2 is for a shift of public money to private to make some rich people richer.