cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A good sign

johpal
Grafter

A good sign

An antidote to the irritations of the modern world, especially the decline in standards of English!
This afternoon, visiting a Waitrose supermarket in Formby, Lancs, I saw a checkout labelled "Six items, or fewer". I may switch allegiance just for the correct grammar. How refreshing.  Smiley
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: A good sign

Been in that store 3 times now and each time I've had a outstanding service. When I say outstanding I mean outstanding.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: johpal
How refreshing.  Smiley

It certainly is.  Smiley
It was at the Waitrose in Kidderminster some years ago I went in for a single item. Several customers were in the '10 or less' queue, but an assistant was sat twiddling his thumbs at an 'ordinary' checkout. No queueing, paid in seconds, and out!  Grin
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Quote from: 4C
queueing

Lips are sealed
(Sorry, couldn't resist seeing as it was a thread about standards of English, and that's a very frequently mangled word. Smiley )
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

It's a fair cop.  Wink
Firefox British dictionary accepted it though.  Huh
Not young enough to know everything
Javert
Grafter

The Oxford English Dictionary (21 volumes) gives both forms: “queueing” and “queuing”.  Smiley

pierre_pierre
Grafter

so do a few other large ones
julesandsand
Grafter

The late, great Alan Coren said that his favourite supermarket was Sainsbury's - because it kept the riff-raff out of Waitrose!  Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: Javert
The Oxford English Dictionary (21 volumes) gives both forms: “queueing” and “queuing”.   Smiley

So I see; I sit corrected. A quick Google search shows the form with one ‘e’ getting five times as many hits as the one with two, so it would appear that ‘queuing’ is the most common spelling. I suppose it's a bit like ‘routing’ – most people spell the word as I've just written it, I think, but in fact ‘routeing’ is also correct (although, ironically, my Mac's just given it a squiggly red line!).
As an aside, I love how the OED defines ‘queuing’ as being ‘chiefly Brit.’ – foreigners do say the Brits love to queue, but I didn't realise that went as far as having our own special word for it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: johpal
An antidote to the irritations of the modern world, especially the decline in standards of English!

I Think that English mainly came from Greek and Latin and is changing all the time as a quick look at texts that were written a century ago differ from todays English and grammar.
Both are under constant change and whilst a comma in the wrong place can change the complete meaning of a sentence perhaps we should not get too pedantic about every little error that occurs
Javert
Grafter

Be3G:  I wasn’t trying to correct anybody - honest!  Unfortunately, when I see something like “queueing and queuing” - and with my middle name being Pedant - I spring into action!  But, like you, I think that what really counts is the everyday usage.  I will now go and sit in the corner and hold my piece - err, sorry, I mean - peace.  Smiley
Community Veteran

No no it's fine, I was glad you mentioned it – if you hadn't, I wouldn't have realised that ‘queueing’ was correct too, so it means I learnt something new. Besides, let's face it, anyone who dares post in a thread about spelling and grammar is immediately opening themselves to wholesale criticism from those with higher levels of pedantry better knowledge. Smiley