Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A good old rant.... from me!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

A good old rant.... from me!

Ah, where do I start guys?
The car got smacked up today.. real badly. Slipped on some lovely wonderful ice at the top of the hill in our road (where you'd expect the gritters to focus attention right by a school) and the car slowly made way towards a Volvo 740 which was parked on the road. No amount of steering, trying to slow the car etc would stop it and eventually... that volvo and my car became very well acquainted. The volvo escaped in true tank fashion needed just a new number plate. My engine bay needs rebuilding. Whats worse is that parkers only value it at about £2k so the insurers will almost certainly write it off. It's a limited edition car, very few found in scrapyards so second hand parts will be a [Censored] to find.
What makes it worse is the other week I spent £600 on the SO's car to get it fixed. Now bear with me there's a reason for me saying bout that...
Every year I've had my licence, without fail, in December we have a huge car bill come and hit us. Everything from gearbox blowing up, head gasket, oil pump (causing engine seizure) etc. This year I thought that I'd broken the curse by getting the SO's car fixed properly. Now I've hit black ice, run into a Volvo and incurred about £2-3K of repairs if I want to save the car I dreamed of, worked bloody hard for and tried hard to look after.
What makes matters worse is we have 2 of them. The one that got pranged today was a limited edition. It's been off the road for 6 months due to a cambelt change problem. While I was away recently the MOT ran out on the other one so it had to go off road as it needs work so I had to drag the better one back off the drive until I could get the other one MOT'd. It's only been back on the road for about 2 weeks and now its battered! Where is the fairness eh?
To top it all off I was forced to take a trip abroad recently which I didn't really want (hence MOT expiry on the worse car of the two) and got milked left right and centre for cash, pretty much mugged on the way back and then the SO decided to bail out the family with my cash too. In all I've had so much money extracted from me these last few weeks I barely have enough to get the other car fixed and MOT'd yet alone rebuild the crashed one!
I know this is happening to people all over the country but I'm so gutted. Its a beautiful stunning car, limited edition, extremely fast (to the point where the latest Beemers, Jags and Mercs couldn't keep up with it when they're flooring it) and I'd dreamed of having one for ages. Now it's smacked up, totally battered, possible distorted chassis and a guaranteed huge repair or replace bill.
Oh.. and to really twist the knife, literally 10 minutes later the shitter whoops I mean gritter came up the road Embarrassed
It's been a hell of a year this year, I've lost someone close to me, the SO lost someone close. I've been through so much [Censored] this year I really can't believe it. It almost feels like 2009 wasn't going to let go without having one last pop at me.
You can probably tell I've been a real miserable sod this year its been so [Censored]. I can't help it, its just been one thing after another every single month.
Oh well, I guess thats it off my chest... Still horrible looking at it out the window though.. I just wish the recovery company would take it so I've not got to look at it but they refused to even touch it today!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: A good old rant.... from me!

I suppose sympathy is not exactly helpful. With good reason you've been making us grumpy old men look like rank beginners for most of this year. May I be the first to wish you and your's a happier new year than this one. Seems to me you deserve a break...good luck!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Cheers for the new year wishes. I hope it gets better than this.
This (2009) year has been bloody awful and tied in with the last 2.5 years working a job which made life a real misery I'm suprised I've still got any sanity left to be honest. When I left the job I told the big boss everything that had been going on and they were totally stunned. I shouldn't of stayed that long in honesty, they made my life a misery and it had a real negative effect on me. Then I had frustrations with PN (like many folk) and this forum wasn't exactly the best place for people to see me in a positive light  Undecided
Every sodding December... Don't get me wrong I can see the funny side of it but the expense is going up exponentially every year  Angry Oh well, another miserable cancelled xmas.. I'm getting used to them now!  Cry
Merry XMas to anyone reading this and a happy new year.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Denzil
Grafter

Sorry to hear that - what kind of car are we talking about?
Fixes: 125

I know how you feel.
Been bad here in some way with my parents becoming ill and now they will have to move from the house they waited years for and love so much, etc.
Intermixed, though, there have been some silver-lined clouds.
Happy New Year to you and everyone else.
May two thousand and ten, 20 10 or whatever you want to call it bring peace and prosperity.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still