cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A fire tragedy in Rouen

Community Veteran
Posts: 38,239
Thanks: 932
Fixes: 54
Registered: 15-06-2007

A fire tragedy in Rouen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36995155

A fire during a birthday party at a bar in the northern French city of Rouen has killed at least 13 people and injured six.

Candles on a birthday cake started the fire at the Cuba Libre bar, which began around midnight on Saturday.

The polystyrene ceiling of the basement room where the celebration was taking place caught fire, according to AFP.

Listening to the news this morning it said that the walls and ceiling were covered in flammable foam

I have to ask the question - don't the French have fire regulations. This would never have been allowed in Britain where flammable polystyrene cladding has been banned for years in public venues

6 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star
Posts: 4,498
Thanks: 46
Registered: 13-04-2007

Re: A fire tragedy in Rouen

@Oldjim You must remember when polystyrene tiles were all the rage in UK - agree it's surprising that they were in use in a basement venue where fire escape would be limited. There must be regs and one assumes pompiers carry out inspections.

A particularly frightening way to die.

Community Veteran
Posts: 18,542
Thanks: 190
Registered: 12-08-2007

Re: A fire tragedy in Rouen

A major incident to need 50 firefighters.

 

It's always possible the tiles were put up without the authorities knowing. So sad.

Community Veteran
Posts: 4,590
Thanks: 750
Fixes: 3
Registered: 06-11-2014

Re: A fire tragedy in Rouen

My question is, how big were these blummin' birthday candles to be able to set fire to the ceiling?? Huh

Community Veteran
Posts: 4,736
Thanks: 1,036
Fixes: 27
Registered: 16-10-2014

Re: A fire tragedy in Rouen

My guess would be it may well have been the Roman Candle type that have a large plume of sparks and fizz and not a flame as we might expect.

Community Veteran
Posts: 18,542
Thanks: 190
Registered: 12-08-2007

Re: A fire tragedy in Rouen

The cake with the candles was being carried at the time. It could be that one candle dropped off to start the fire.

Community Veteran
Posts: 4,590
Thanks: 750
Fixes: 3
Registered: 06-11-2014

Re: A fire tragedy in Rouen

Sooo, it was an anti-gravity candle, which fell to the ceiling where the polystyrene tiles were?Huh