Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A fantastic way to donate to your local Foodbank

Anonymous
Not applicable

A fantastic way to donate to your local Foodbank

Mystery Tesco shopper orders £300 of goods to be delivered direct to Foodbank

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mystery-tesco-shopper-orders-300-13721931

"They accessed our list of things we needed on Facebook so it was all of the things we needed such as tinned meat, tinned fruit, biscuits, custard, pasta, rice and a variety of things."

This is an excellent way to donate to your local Foodbank.

We will also do the same.

7 REPLIES 7
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: A fantastic way to donate to your local Foodbank

So really another thread about you. Do you donate to charity out of kindness, or to massage your ego?

And food banks are just a sticking plaster that don't address the cause, which is the tories and their "welfare reform"

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@DaveyH Whilst I may have some thoughts about @Anonymous's posting reasons. There's no reason to rubbish the actual deed. You may also have a strong belief, why the food banks are in existence, and it's entirely up to you and others whether to donate. People donate, because they see an immediate need, and political views should not devalue their efforts in any way.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Whether anyone thinks foodbanks should be supported or not doesn't take away from the simple fact that presently, whatever the reasons, they are a lifeline for some people.

I help out in one. We don't see a stream of the same people coming time after time. We see people who for the moment can't feed themselves. Frequently (in fact I'd say more than half) it's people in employment who are maybe between jobs, zero hours contract gone wrong, off work sick with a much reduced income etc.. We seldom see people who are 'on support' because in the main, surprisingly, the benefit system works. But all it takes for many folk is a one-off event, they've no savings to fall back on, and suddenly they're (very) hard up.

So don't knock foodbanks or even think that it's a sign that universal credit or whatever has failed. Often it's just something out of the blue, a 1-off that hits someone so hard that they need 1-off help.

Of course there are chancers, but very very few.

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well said, thank you for your input.

We support our local communities in many ways, food banks are just one.

We are in a position to help, something we gladly do.

Anonymously.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The real-life Secret Santa who donates dozens of food hampers every year

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2018-12-20/the-real-life-secret-santa-who-donates-dozens-of-food-ha...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tesco are looking for charities and community groups to donate their excess food to over Easter through their Community Food Connection Scheme.

At Tesco, we have no time for waste. We have made a commitment that no food safe for human consumption will go to waste from our UK retail operations.

In the UK, we donate surplus food every day to local charities and community groups through our Community Food Connection scheme in partnership with food redistribution charity FareShare.

https://sustainability.tescoplc.com/sustainability/food-waste/topics/own-operations/community-food-c...

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@DaveyH

Folks usually give to charity because it makes them feel better and rarely is it an entirely altruistic act - but does that matter as long as they do so. 

Maybe it's better just to take a step back and celebrate the result rather than the motive?

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison