cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A different election thread

Fixes: 125

A different election thread

Investigating for my mother I was surprised that a person deemed not to have mental capacity (whether dementia or other mental illness) still has the right to vote. Of course many would not be able to attend the polling station or be in a position to organise a postal vote and without a proxy set up cannot legally get anyone else to vote on their behalf; PoA does not cover voting rights.

In respect of my mother I am certain that in the moment of a conversation about the election she would remember how she voted in the past and possibly have an opinion regarding how she would vote now. But 5 minutes later this would be totally forgotten.

My feeling is that no-one lacking mental capacity should lose their right to vote but how can they openly and honestly exercise that right?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

8 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: A different election thread

I think you would need to ask them? surely they will be voting honestly and with all good intention?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@Mav

As you say, no one should lose their right to vote but if they are unable to vote for the reason you give then it's a catch 22 situation, they can vote but are unable to do so.

It would be impossible to give someone the right to vote on their behalf based on their past voting history assuming that was known.

It is a question with no solution

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Mental capacity is not a legal incapacity, it's a simple as that and nobody can or should be able to vote on behalf of somebody else whatever the circumstances. Blimey, even those playing with a full deck can vote for The Official Monster Raving Loony party, so why not the other way round.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.

@Minivanman

Guess what?

No matter who you vote for the Monster Raving Loony Party always gets in anywayFunny

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

With my dear old Mum I had to show her where to put her X. She did know who she wanted to vote for. This did sometimes get a glare and the odd word from those watching over the voting station.

When I started postal voting I filled hers in for her then she signed the form. Sadly her last election she was no longer able to sign a form. It was the only election she ever missed voting in.

--------------------------

I should add that when I was doing her postal voting she probably only had the merest occasional glimpses of what it was about. I filled things out as she had done previously. I just figured she would have wanted that going by her often "I'm not voting for that sorry bunch".

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Good for her Thumbs Up

If only the youngsters could see just how valuable democracy is and how easily it is lost. Voting is sometimes more important than voting for the opposition but sadly many of that generation just cannot see it, or cannot be bothered to see it.

We are slipping into a dystopian future, and that's a fact. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.

@billnotben

My post was prompted by SWMBO asking if my mum can still vote. I am quite sure she would have no idea once in the polling station of what to do or even why she was there. It's very sad that she can't really exercise her right to vote simply because she would not now understand.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Minivanman wrote:

Good for her Thumbs Up

If only the youngsters could see just how valuable democracy is and how easily it is lost. Voting is sometimes more important than voting for the opposition but sadly many of that generation just cannot see it, or cannot be bothered to see it.

We are slipping into a dystopian future, and that's a fact. 

Agreed!

As to the theme, it may seem odd to some that sufferers form such mental conditions are allowed to vote. My opinion is that, however male-avian-eyed it seems, our law protects me, you, us all from arbitrary denial of citizenship rights.

I love that old saying,

"All the world is queer, me dear, save thee and me. And even thee's a little queer"!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.