Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A cr*p situation!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

A cr*p situation!

Our toilet is blocked!

I've plunged it, used hot soapy water, plunged more, more hot water (with soap direct to the bog first), used Mr Muscle pipe foamer, more hot water....

This wretched saga has been going on for two days now. Luckily it isn't the only toilet we have however it is the most convenient being downstairs!

So how on earth do I shift the impossible?

And please, in your replies, no taking the p... Thumbs Up

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Re: A cr*p situation!

Is it a standard size soil-pipe leaving the pan? Suggest you check if it's round the U-bend in the pan first - this could involve you getting your hands dirty - if that is clear, where is the first inspection point on the pipe run - check there to see if things are clear. If so, then you'll have to start rodding or get the pros in to do it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

two suggestions

1) Swmbo once dropped a toilet roll down the loo and tried to 'flush it away', Involved disconnecting the outflow from the back of the loo.

2) GO to the nearest outside manhole on your sewage line and lift the cover make sure its not blocked downstream of the downstairs toilet, if it is it could be backing up to the upstairs toilet as well, and possibly your neighbours

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Don the gloves and stick your hand down there and tease the plug out, usually caused by non-flushable wipes and other detritus that ain't meant to be flushed, that or you really need to check your diet... Grin

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

I had an issue on christmas eve a year ago where plant roots had found their way into the pipe outside leading to the man hole. Had to dig up the concrete and remove the section of pipe! Not great for me as my wife was 8 months pregnant at the time.

There is also the trick of wrapping a mop with a plastic bag and using that as an extra large plunger if your regular plunger doesn't do the trick Wink

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Community Veteran

Assuming it's the actual toilet that's blocked and not 'downstream', start with a wire coat hanger, open it up then bend it to suit.  You can form a hook to 'pull stuff out' or try pushing stuff down, with the relatively thin wire, you can usually break up a plug of debris with a little work.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

You can get a "snake" from the £shop or Tesco had them.
It is a flexible wire about 1.5M long with an L on the end, that you can wiggle to try and remove any blockages in the Ubend.
When mine blocked a couple of years ago it was one of those silly toilet fresheners that you hang over the edge, the plastic holder had flushed and gotten stuck OUTSIDE on the bend to the main drain. I had to remove the toilet and fish it out from inside.
RaddandSand2001
Dabbler

An old type string mop used as a plunger action into the bowl will in most cases agitate the blockage and either bring it back into the bowl or round into the outlet.

Put the mop into the bowl twist to make round then with fast movements push pull push into and out of the bottom of the bowl and as an added plus get another person to pour very HOT water into the toilet while you plunge

If it comes back you may see the offending item Q-tip or some other non toilet item (Granddaughter dropped a toothbrush in one or ours and never said so then *OH cr*p  pan just full of ! nice!!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Hi guys,

Well as suspected the blockage was further along than the toilet. I did tell the missus this but she wouldn't believe me as usual and had me messing about with two more plungers after a six metre long flexible rod was coming back up the toilet completely clean.
Anyway long story short I called a plumber for £100+ that I couldn't really afford and he found what he called one of the biggest blockages he'd ever seen caused by a build up of toilet paper that the upstairs toilet isn't flushing properly. The cistern is built into the wall and tiled over so we can't fix it. Anyway he has sorted it and it's now flushing but only after a massive argument that has ended up with me and the missus agreeing to split.
She only needed to believe me but instead chose to make me continue for 2 days trying to unblock what I could not unblock..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Sorry to hear such a sad ending to this issue Sad

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I hope you manage to stop being annoyed at each other and talk about how you both feel before you chuck the towel in for good, seems such a stupid thing to argue over to cause a split/

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

7up wrote:

Anyway he has sorted it and it's now flushing but only after a massive argument that has ended up with me and the missus agreeing to split.

I've heard of many reasons for couples to split up, but, arguing over a plugged throne is a new one on me...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

£100  is a lot of money, even more so if you do not have it.

Looking at what the plumber did could you have done the job yourself ? if not  then what choice did you have but to pay ?

If you could do the job yourself I guess you would have done it and watching what he did you could probably do the job yourself in the future but unfortunately we sometimes have to pay for acquiring knowledge.

Just hope you both chill a bit and try to see the logic of the situation, utterly daft to split up over something like this, there will be much harder situations you will both need to cope with in the future.