cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A coup in Turkey?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

A coup in Turkey?

Bridges over Bosphorus blocked and low flying jets in Ankara. BBC Report http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36809083

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: A coup in Turkey?

a bit more information http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/07/turkey-military-blocks-bridges-istanbul-160715195444742.html (slow to load)

Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim has announced that a group of military forces have engaged in a "coup attempt" against the government.

Yildirim made the announcement late on Friday, as he vowed that the "perpetrators" will be contained. 

He said that a number of generals are involved in the takeover of the government, adding that it "will never give up democracy".  

Al Jazeera has learned that Istanbul's Ataturk international airport has been shut down, and all flights have been cancelled. 

An Al Jazeera reporter in Istanbul also reported seeing shops closing their doors in the Taksim Square area. 

"People are going home now," he said.

Istanbul's Bosphorus Bridge and Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge have also been shut down by the Turkish army, local television channels reported, without giving a reason.

The two major bridges connect the Asian side of Istanbul to the European side. 

Dogan News Agency footage showed cars and buses being diverted, according to Reuters. 

Reuters witnesses in Istanbul, Turkey's largest city, also spotted helicopters overhead.

"It seems there is dissent in the military ranks," Al Jazeera's Zeina Khodr, reporting from Gaziantep, said. 

In the capital Ankara, gunshots were heard, as military jets and helicopters were seen flying overhead, a Reuters witness said.

Turkey has had a history of coup attempts, the last time being carried out in 1997, which forced the resignation of then-prime minister Nemettin Erbakan.

Community Veteran

It may be a failure but the military are claiming success

One probable result - chance of joining the EU - zilch

A silly thought - has Boris struck already

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/05/boris-johnson-wins-the-spectators-president-erdogan-offensive-p...

Fixes: 47

Crikey...what a year so far. I'm not going to forget this one in a hurry.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

The sketch on DeadRingers this week about ARGH making her leadership bid announcement,  each time she  tried to make an announcement there was a 'news flash' with some major news story.

Wonder what today's news will be

Minivanman
Hero

Bears [-Censored-] in the woods?

Just one of many in Turkey, it's traditional! Wasn't Boris Johnson's paternal line from there? Should make life interesting for him in his new job.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

So no christmas dinner this year? Oh, wrong turkey...Grin

Minivanman
Hero

Gave up buying those years ago. Never really liked it, always expensive and larger than needed..... and chicken much cheaper and tastier! 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah, some birds are definitely tastier than others..... this one for instance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Fa7RsiBGU

Minivanman
Hero

Very nice and I would ask for two portions but at may age I would only manage one. Wink

Community Veteran

Coup is over.... Government have regained control... soldiers seen surrendering with hands in the air, on one of the bridges.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36813924

Community Veteran

and from that link

Some 2,745 Turkish judges have also been dismissed in the wake of the coup, state media say.

They are reported to include a member of the country's top court.

which is worrying to say the least - is Turkey heading for a dictatorship

Community Veteran

@Oldjim  If you read Jeremy Bowen`s piece a bit further down... it would seem the current president is heading in that direction... bit by bit... 

Minivanman
Hero

Turkey is already a dictatorship, albeit a 'democratic' one.

Heads are going to roll, literally.

Community Veteran

At least they won't be joining the EU whilst we are still there.