cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A chicken by any other name.

Anonymous
Not applicable

A chicken by any other name.

I was making Chicken in Black Bean Sauce for dinner last night and as I’d just got my shopping order I kept out the Tesco Chicken Breasts that were in the order rather than freeze them. Now I normally get all of my chicken from the local Butcher but could not get all of it due to the time of year so I bought some from Tesco just to make sure I had enough; after all Chicken is Chicken is Chicken.

Well yes and no. The chicken I got from Tesco’s was swimming in water (well it would have been if it were still alive), water that I’d paid for!  And the butchery was something else. There were still large amounts of white tissue and cartilage on it that I needed to trim off, blood spots and the joints where the wing was attached looked like something out of a horror movie.

Why am I bleating about this, well the chicken breast I get from the butcher is over a third larger, doesn’t get injected with water, clean, bloodless and requires little, if no, preparation other than chopping prior to use, so why can't it be the same for Tesco!

So note to self never ever buy chicken from a super market.

7 REPLIES 7
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: A chicken by any other name.

@Anonymous

I'd be suspicious if the Tesco chicken was already 'swimming' when you opened it, that it had been frozen then thawed.

My experience is that I've noticed that supermarket chicken looks 'normal' when first bought, but if you freeze / thaw it, that's when the water appears.

I too always have to 'super-trim' it before use to remove all the yucky bits.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't know that @RobPN, and quite worrying as the other pack I bought I put in the freezer!

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

I remember reading some newspaper reports, about this, probably about 10 years ago... I thought the "practice" had been scaled down, due to trading standards and the food police becoming involved,...but.. it`s still going on...

Injecting the chicken flesh with water increases it`s physical volume... so you think you are getting more for your money... so , yes, you are paying for the water content too..

on a lighter note...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6493799/Brilliant-photographs-two-chickens-getting-MARRIE...

And a video of another "wedding"   here  ! ! !...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUEF-v462sE

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter - Ignoring the fact that one link is from DM, based on the content of the URL you provided I'm not even going to bother looking at them, but you really really need to get out more!

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous Yeah... I know... but the pics on the DM link were really good ! ! ! .. and I have been out to lunch, and also spent an hour down the shed, doing my project... now, I `m marking time unitl it is time to go out again, at about 5pm, for tea with the in-law son and his wife... which I`m not looking forward to... !

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just hope son-in-law doesn't read this forum Wink

shutter
Community Veteran

Not sure he can read !  Cheesy he certainly can`t use a computer... ! not even on his phone !  !