cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A cautionary tale...

Denzil
Grafter

A cautionary tale...

If you are away overnight, and get home to find your power has tripped out, check the contents of your freezer a bit more carefully than I did  Embarrassed. Still, if you want a really good abdominal muscle workout, there is nothing like repeated visits to the bathroom during the night with your body trying to expel every last morsel. That was Monday night, and I am still suffering now.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: A cautionary tale...

My sympathy is with you my friend.  surely that must be to worst feeling ever, to be continuously being sick, especially when you have very very little left.....
be very careful to drink plenty of fresh water. to avoid dehydration.  Hope you feel better sooon.  Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Just a tip, as shutter said drink plenty of water but drink little but often. Drinking down half a glass in a few seconds can sometimes make you sick again. Little sips are the best way after being ill like that.
I hope you feel better soon!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Speaking of power outages.
This very morning I reluctantly rose from warm bed and stepped into the shower (electric), turned it on and all power vanished. Shower, lights etc leaving me stark naked in the dark.
I shot down stairs to check the resettable fuses, still in the buff to discover that it was the main fuse that had blown, you know the one inside the box with the seal on. Roll eyes
This is a job for the YEDL man.
Quick shave and a rinse and it was off to work to open up and gain access to a computer to find the emergency phone number.
Once found it was back home to make the call where I was advised an engineer would be despatched and would be with me within 1 to 3 hours.
15 minutes later he was knocking on the door. Within 10 minutes he had the job done, replacing a 60 amp blown fuse with a new 80 amp one citing a tired fuse as the probable cause. Ahhh Kiss
Have to say it was excellent service, highly recommended (except the blown fuse bit).
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Strat you need to get them back out, the reason is he should not have replaced the 60 amp fuse with a 80 amp, your home can have a electric Fire jew to over ampij.

• 40 amp fuses are normally used in residential propertys. - Old propertys

• 60 amp fuses are normally used in residential propertys.

• 80 amp fuses are normally used in small shops.

Fixes: 47

Hi Midnight
The system is rated at 100 amps. The electric shower on it's own can take 45 amps (some up to 50 amps) leaving 10 to 15 amps for everything else.
So if someone puts on my electric kettle (12.5 amps) while I'm having a shower....that's it.
I suspect those figures pre-date high demand devices such as electric showers but I appreciate the concern Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nadger
Rising Star

That's one hell of a kettle at 3kw - whoops, just checked mine and it's 2.5/3.0 Kw
Very good advice about drinking water.
Euge
Grafter

Electric showers have to have an R.C.D. (residual current device) on the supply these days, because of the quicker tripping you get than a fuse. Although this is to meet new regulations so you don't need to do it on existing systems I believe.
Denzil
Grafter

Thanks, Guys. Feeling better today after a more or less normal night's sleep. I am trying to keep up the fluids, and eating little and often. I have been mostly living on porridge, which seems to be easy on the digestive system.
Next job to sort the electrics. I have a fairly new consumer unit with an RCD main breaker, but it keeps tripping out in stormy weather.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Glad to hear you are feeling better today....
Have you got one of those "waterproof" external sockets, anywhere in your garden? or power to the shed/garage? that may be getting a bit of "damp" in it, and shorting out, thereby causing the RCD to trip?
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
15 minutes later he was knocking on the door. Within 10 minutes he had the job done, replacing a 60 amp blown fuse with a new 80 amp one citing a tired fuse as the probable cause. Ahhh Kiss Have to say it was excellent service, highly recommended (except the blown fuse bit).
Good to hear of good service - I wonder how much they charge for the call out. Hope it's not as high as BT to do a five minute job Wink
johpal
Grafter

@Denzil - Sorry to hear of you illness and glad you're feeling better. Re-read your last post and see it said "electrics", not "electrolytes" (sorry, see things with a medical slant first).
The advice to keep drinking fluids is sound, but instead of plain water, rehydrating salts from the chemist would be better (alternatively, a can of "flat", full-sugar coke is a good stopgap). As ever, see your GP if your symptoms persist!
As for "electrics", I'm neither qualified, nor "handy"...  Embarrassed
Lurker
Grafter

The YEDL service is generally free (at least the first time!)
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Midnight
@Strat you need to get them back out, the reason is he should not have replaced the 60 amp fuse with a 80 amp, your home can have a electric Fire jew to over ampij.

• 40 amp fuses are normally used in residential propertys. - Old propertys

• 60 amp fuses are normally used in residential propertys.

• 80 amp fuses are normally used in small shops.

My house is over 100 years old as is fitted with a 100 amp line fuse.
nadger
Rising Star