cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A bit of pleasant TV for a change

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A bit of pleasant TV for a change

Anyone else following Michael Portillo's Railway Journeys BBC2.
Think they've been on before. Whatever you may think of his politics -which is irrelevant here- I think he presents the programme quite well.
Nice gentle TV.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: A bit of pleasant TV for a change

I think it's a new series, liked the first one but haven't seen any of this one yet.
Portillo is a very interesting guy; always enjoyed watching him and Diane Abbott bantering with Andrew Neil on TV.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

todays was Episode 8 of series two which is billed as a new series 16 programs on my list so far
N/A

Only caught glimpses of it, most noticeably last week when he was covering Filey and Scarborough and yes, I thought that it was good viewing.  Don't know much about the man and his politics as I am not really into that sort of thing but I reckon that he does a good job in this particular programme.  He is very dignified and not shouting or flying off at a tangent like so many presenters these days.
The other programme that I like but have missed a few of the current series is Silent Witness.  I always like the performance of William Gaminara who plays Professor Dalton.  He carries the programme with his quiet dignity and sensitivity.  The episodes this week were so revealing and true to life as he was portrayed working through the deaths of his wife and child some years before.
It was really moving and the scriptwriter must have done much research.  Contrast this with the hype surrounding the cot death story in Eastenders which is total rubbish because as any mother knows when they have lost a child, they don't want anyone else's baby, only their own.  BBC at its best and at its worst.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

this ones also good, this is episode three, not sure if its the last one
DOCUMENTARY: The Secret Mediterranean with Trevor McDonald
On: ITV1 Date: Tuesday 18th January 2011
Time: 20:00 to 21:00 (1 hour long)
Trevor McDonald's Mediterranean journey continues. In this episode, he goes to the west coast of Italy and visits Vesuvius, one of the world's most dangerous volcanoes, and meets the Naples prosecutor responsible for confronting and convicting members of the mafia. On the stunning Amalfi coast, he visits the idyllic Palazzo Belmonte, where he catches up with the last remaining prince of one of Italy's grandest families. Next he heads to Spain, where he takes a hair-raising ride in a supercar on the Costa Brava. Then he travels to Morocco, stepping back in time with ancient Berber tribes.
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=17639
Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
Community Veteran

i enjoyed clare balding's 'round britain' cycle tours following some chap's routes and even using his own touring bicycle.  she has a pleasant down-to-earth presenting style i find refreshing.  it helps too that she has a nice voice.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Thanks for drawing Michael Portillo's Railway Journeys to my attention. I had assumed that it was yet another showing of the series that I had first seen on BBC Four. Fortunately I am still in time to watch this series on iPlayer.
randpwar
Grafter

As a family we’ve been enthralled recently by the BBC series 'The Bear Family And Me' with nature expert Gordon Buchanan. Well worth finding on Iplayer if you missed it. Buchanan stayed for (I think) a year with black bear expert Dr Lynn Rogers in Minnesota. The trust that Rogers has fostered with the bears was best shown when he changed the radio tracking collar of one of the bears while she was relaxed and calm feeding on grapes from Buchanan’s hand. A fascinating incite into these very misunderstood creatures
pierre_pierre
Grafter

still two repeats to go
Episode two 15/01 at 15:30 - 16:30 and episode 3 22/01 at 17:45 - 18:45 on BBC 2
There is an insight on the American Gun culture towards the end of Episode 3
Episode one was on 08/01 at  18:30 BBc 2
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Returning to my OP. Residents of Sheffield and staff at Plusnet Towers should know that Michael Portillo investigates Bradshaws Batley to Sheffield tomorrow (Thursday 20th Jan, BBC2 18:30)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

I enjoyed this evenings episode  Smiley
Terrible thought - I first went through Sheffield, by train, in 1935 on way to Scotland to be christened  Roll eyes