cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A bit of Argy Bargy still goes on - BUENOS AIRES BANS BRITISH SHIPS FROM MOORING

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

A bit of Argy Bargy still goes on - BUENOS AIRES BANS BRITISH SHIPS FROM MOORING

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/337268/Falklands-dispute-worsens-as-Buenos-Aires-bans-British-sh...
And we don`t have any aircraft carriers with planes .... nice one Cameron....  Embarrassed
17 REPLIES
David_W
Rising Star

Re: A bit of Argy Bargy still goes on - BUENOS AIRES BANS BRITISH SHIPS FROM MOORING

There won't be a war this time around, Argentina are going to try and fight a financial battle instead by blocking *any* ship (not just British if I read it correctly) that has been to the Falklands for the purpose of oil exploration as well as any British ship.  What can we do?  Can we do a tit-for-tat and ask the EU to ban any Argentinian ship from docking in the EU?  Probably not.  We could expel the Argentinian diplomats from the UK though as a signal to the Argentinean government.
I don't think we can even block Argentinian ships from entering British ports, we have to due to international trade laws which Argentina are most likely ignoring.
I do love one of the comments on that page though:
A simple statement to the effect that Britain will happily use nuclear weapons against ANY country that attacks its overseas territory or lends active support to those that do should be more than enough to remind this silly cow that the combined military strength of all of South America is less than the firepower of 1 Trident Submarine.

We're not allowed to do that, no country which has nuclear weapons is allowed to say "we have nukes, do what we say or we'll use them".  No idea how we're going to sort it out properly though, how much produce does the EU import from Argentina anyhow?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: A bit of Argy Bargy still goes on - BUENOS AIRES BANS BRITISH SHIPS FROM MOORING

We should just stop buying corned beef!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Quote from: David
how much produce does the EU import from Argentina anyhow?

I finished off a nice bottle of Argentinian red this evening.  Smiley
Got nothing against Argentinians or their products, but this leader is sort of heading down the "Galtieri" route for domestic political reasons; it won't do her any good in the long run.  Lips are sealed
We were friends with Argentina before the Falklands war, were after and will be in future. This is a silly "handbags" action.
Community Veteran

I must admit, I also like a bottle or Argentinian red but I'll stick to my handbag and drink Chilean or (best value for me at present) Australian.  Tongue
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

it's a Californian Merlot for me Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Butternut Squash at Sainsbury's during the winter comes from the Argies.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

I'll stick to Guinness Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Yep, butternut squash or Guinness, no contest!  Cool
Call me 'w23'
Community Veteran

I've got some very nice leftover butternut squash curry in the freezer.  Grin
And I rarely drink Guinness - prefer beer (the real stuff, not yellow fizz!)
So yes, no contest here either!  Cheesy
tinto
Grafter

To quote the Express.
"The bill is part of Argentina's drive to discourage oil exportation from the area. "
I know the geological indicators say there is, or ought to be, oil around the Falklands, but am I right in thinking no one has actually found any yet?
Community Veteran

Quote from: tinto
am I right in thinking no one has actually found any yet?

You are VERY wrong.
They have found both oil and gas, the latter is very problematic to extract.
(Someone I know is in that business and came back recently from The Falklands where they were working)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Following it's default on loans Argentina has very limited access to money from the international banking system. The current government has some financial problems and likes to use the Falklands as a distraction. The added bonus of oil discoveries makes the Falklands a juicy target for the struggling politicians, they'd love to do a land grab. The Falklands are 300 miles distant from Argentina, it's a bit like Paris claiming the Isle of Wight.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: AlaricAdair
it's a bit like Paris claiming the Isle of Wight.

Or the Channel Islands..............
Or ... Spain and Gibraltar..........
OR... quite a few other "nice little places"  WE think WE own as a matter of "right"....  ( ok... we won a few wars.......................)  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
... Spain and Gibraltar..........

Not to mention Ceuta....  Wink