cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A&E

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

A&E

Not sure how many have been watching the 24 hours in A&E but it's not a place I would like to work in these days.
Half the admission are under the influence of Drink and/or drugs and a few others could easily be seen by a GP.
40 years ago I spent a short time working in a busy A&E Department and don't recall anyone coming in Drunk or abusing or swearing at staff,  on the contrary people were willing to wait their turn and were grateful for the treatment they got.
Must admit the staff were different in those days you never saw them wearing ear rings, sporting tatoos or acting the fool................how times have changed.
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: A&E

Personally I have doubts as to whether people under the influence should even be allowed to be treated. If they were not you'd soon see a change in social attitudes towards getting drunk. People would be more careful if they thought that a fight could lead to them being badly injured with no help available.
The problem at the moment is that many people go out to get excessively drunk.. knowing that if anything happens to them good old A&E is there to pick up the pieces and patch them up.
Sounds harsh I know and I'm sure the odd few will not like my view on it but once you've been in that situation once you'd be a lot more careful in the future.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@gleneagles, I've been catching up on some recordings in the past few evenings and have really liked this series.  I have great admiration for the staff who have some very difficult and sometimes dangerous patients to deal with. They say it's the busiest A&E in the country and it certainly is in one of the roughest areas. The amount of gun/knife crime is shocking and with the drink/drugs problems you mention this makes up most of their case load. Excellent series.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: okrzynska
Personally I have doubts as to whether people under the influence should even be allowed to be treated.

Sometimes it is difficult to sort out symptoms when a causality is “under the influence” or drink or drugs. Sad
Community Veteran

Everyone is entitled to treatment but if they arrive in A&E as a result of drink/drugs then I see no reason why they shouldn't be made to pay.
matt_2k34
Grafter

then I see no reason why they shouldn't be made to pay.

Well said that man.
Why should taxpayers foot the bill of someone elses stupidity?
and it certainly is in one of the roughest areas

ex gf lives ~5 mins away from the hospital. Its a horrible area but i loved being there... but then, im strange, enjoy the constant sound of police sirens all night and dont go looking for trouble Smiley
Regards
Community Veteran

Quote from: Matt_2k34
Why should taxpayers foot the bill of someone elses stupidity?

The harsh reality though is that you and me aren't directly paying for it are we: It's really the NHS thats directly taking the hit for all these wasters.
Community Veteran

........and where does the NHS get its funding from?  At the end of the day it's taxpayers money.
Community Veteran

Thats true artmo but as you know if they didn't have tons of drunks every weekend they'd use the money elsewhere. You will never get a tax refund in this country from any government.
Community Veteran

A bit of mixed up thinking I think you have there.  The tax refund you refer to is given to us by way of a reduction in the rate of tax we pay.
Community Veteran

Reduction / refund.. same thing to me. but the point remains.. it will never decrease / be refunded. They'll just spend the money on something else.
matt_2k34
Grafter

They'll just spend the money on something else.

Thats the point !?!
If they werent wasting millions patching up the drunk and disorderly, they could use it to do real decent work, you know, like put more into the NHS and other services (like the police who end up picking up the peices too!)
Regards
Community Veteran

Quote from: okrzynska
Reduction / refund.. same thing to me. but the point remains.. it will never decrease / be refunded. They'll just spend the money on something else.

So you're saying you've never seen the rate of tax go down?
Community Veteran

No.. I've seen my tax code go up which in theory saves me money but oddly it's never actually reflected any savings on the pay slip which is rather strange.
@Matt: Thats the point I was trying to make. Drunks are wasting NHS resources. Myself and artmo got into a slight misunderstanding which then made my point look like the opposite but my point was basically that those under the influence are costing the NHS which is money that could be spent elsewhere.
If you read up you'll see that I said the NHS is taking the hit for these wasters.
Steve
Pro

Back on topic Roll eyes  I have never missed an episode of this since It started. I admire everyone that works to save lives and help others.. Period.