Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Very clever scam

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

A Very clever scam

This is a very clever scam,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2249752/A-999-credit-card-scam-cost-thousands.html
How many people know that if you hang up and then dial a number but the other person remains on the phone you will be put through to them and not the number you dialed !
8 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: A Very clever scam

Think you'll find that they played a recording of a dial-tone as the line was never dropped. Also, as far as I know, this only happens for the person who received the original call, if the dialer hangs up then the line is dropped.
I read that article last night and thought one would have to be particularly idiotic to fall for that scam. Who actually believes you need to dial 999 to confirm the police's identity - apart from the author?
Typing in a PIN after giving your card details - just plain daft.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

A very detailed and well thought out scam though Shocked
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Isn't the call terminated about 20 mins after the recipient hangs up?
A couple of times in the past I've called BT to tell them that a caller hasn't hung up and they've told me that it will clear automatically after 20 mins!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: NedLudd
A couple of times in the past I've called BT to tell them that a caller hasn't hung up and they've told me that it will clear automatically after 20 mins!

BT are known for saying anything to get you off the line so they can deal with something else. I would take that with a pinch of salt. It maybe true but don't take it as gospel.
A clever scam but the moment anyone asks for a pin they'd get the phone put down on them. Why would they also want to collect the cards via a courier and not a uniformed officer? Why would they even want the cards? Cards AND pin? All sounds too dodgy to me and would ring alarm bells instantly. Gotta hand it to them though, whoever pulled that off was very clever and certainly has b@lls to do it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

A line is normally force cleared after 3 minutes, 1 minute if the i/c call was International.
Razer
Grafter

Can anybody provide a link that doesn't involve The Daily Mail (or The Sun, The Star, The Daily Express or any other trash newspaper) so that I can have a better idea of what people are talking about?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The issue also appeared on BBC's "You've Been Scammed" daytime TV programme during the last week or so. You may be able to access on their iPlayer.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Razer
Grafter

Thank-you,
Petlew.
I'll check it out.