Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Tax on your Coffee!!

Community Veteran

A Tax on your Coffee!!

The Lib Dems are calling for a tax to be put on disposable coffee cups:

Disposable Coffee Cups

Will it work? I think it could cut down on the number of coffees that are drunk from take-away cups.

In the US they sell a lot of take aways in mugs that customers take in to be refilled. Customers get a discount for using their own mug. That's a good idea.

15 REPLIES
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: A Tax on your Coffee!!

I think Costa and Starbucks in the UK also do that but it is not well advertised, and as I only 'drink-in', I cannot be 100% certain.

John
Community Veteran

@jab1 I'm a Caffe Nero man and have never seen it working there. Like you I am a drink-in person. I like a leisurely coffee and a newspaper.

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

@artmo - I'll be going fr a Costa sometime next week - I'll try and remember to check if my suspicion is correct. Smiley

John
Fixes: 125

I've seen people getting their own mugs filled at Starbucks.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

For a couple of months Starbucks offered 50p off your drink if you bring in your own take-away cup. That promotion has ended now but you still get 25p off if you bring in your own. I think it has to be at least the medium size as well so the small sizes don't get a discount.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

This is the same old garbage approach to victim blaming, tax the consumer? Blimey O'Reilly, how about taxing those that produce the bloody stuff in the first place. 

They say we live and learn but do we heck as like. At one time we'd buy our fish and chips in 'bio degradable' newspapers, coffee from cups that could be washed and pop from bottles that could be recycled.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 125

Minivanman wrote:

Blimey O'Reilly, how about taxing those that produce the bloody stuff in the first place.

Wouldn't that tax likely be passed on to the consumer anyway?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

I suppose so, but at least it avoids the consumer being blamed and held responsible. Legislation to stop them producing and selling stuff that cannot be recycled? Something needs to be done to stop the world becoming one huge rubbish dump - or are we to late. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

like it matters... we are taxed on everything the day we are born Tongue

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Fixes: 104

jaread83 wrote:

I think it has to be at least the medium size as well so the small sizes don't get a discount.

Nah I've had 25p of espresso for using my own cup Smiley

Will Moderate For Thanks
Riza
Rising Star

Ok I understand the tax on the plastic bags, but coffee now as well?

They might as well tax us on walking on the pavement for wear and tear, probably even tax collecting rain water.

Malarkey! It's illegal to collect rain water in some states in the us.

Community Veteran

You would think someone could invent a cup that is disposable. Looks like there could be money in such a device Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

artmo wrote:

The Lib Dems are calling for

Like anybody listens to them these days, quite funny though with cameron's teaboys trying to put a tax on his tea & coffee... Funny

But on a slightly more serious note, is the tax on the companies buying the product not enough? Nor the tax on the people for paying the council to empty the bins and sweep the streets? Or the tax paid at the till to purchase said products? Or, could it just be, the government just wants more money to pay for their second homes and 5 car garages? Crazy

Community Veteran

This tax would be to pay for the third home and a six car garage.