Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Rubbish Topic

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

A Rubbish Topic

Every Council seems to be different when it comes to collecting household waste and here in Carmathenshire it's straightforward enough - apart from being able to determine what sort of plastic is 'rubbish' for the black bags and what sort can go into our blue recycling bags. We also have a small green bin for waste food and one for glass bottles and jars we can dispose of locally as they are not collected.

All well and good, all easy peasy, all admirable and no problems with any of it but.....

Our neighbouring authority of Pembrokeshire  (which is literally just over the border from where we are) is about to introduce and new scheme and one which I have little doubt that ours will follow in short order.

And what do they propose? Well seven new bins and bags!

A blue sack for cardboard, a blue box for paper, a red box for plastics, a green caddy for food waste, a green box for glass and almost finally, a clear bag which household have to provide themselves for those batteries.

Waste food to be collected weekly (phew)

Recyclable weekly

Non recyclable every three weeks.

Nappies and such, well for those you'd need to subscribe and would be given yet another colour, this time purple.

I think I feel a headache coming on. 😖

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
34 REPLIES 34
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: A Rubbish Topic

I gave up the recycling malarkey years ago. My recycling bin is just used to store things in, round my back garden.

I generally don't buy junk rubbish stuff so my bin, which is collected every two weeks, is hardly ever even half full.

My council was considering some sort of reward scheme based on the amount a householder put in their recycling bin. Which would have meant those whose who basically don't care what rubbish they buy, with their overflowing bins, would have been rewarded.

Of course the proposed scheme was dropped. I assume there were more than enough people pointing out the flaws where those producing the most rubbish were given a pat on the back and applauded.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I'm just concerned there is going to some sort of blowback and folks are going to say sod this for a malarkey and just put everything in a black bag and put it out for collection whenever. I mean, are they really going to be able to check everybody's rubbish bag?

I don't think so somehow, and I don't think either they should be blaming the consumer for producing the stuff and then handing them the responsibility for sorting it all out.

Arsed about face if you ask me.

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Minivanman wrote: And what do they propose? Well seven new bins and bags!

Sounds like someone lives in an ivory tower with no connection to the real world. To me, and no doubt countless others, plastic is plastic. I don't hold a degree on the various types so asking me to sort it is kind of stupid. The solution is rather obvious, only produce and sell plastic that can be recycled. Rocket science?

I bought an item the other day, the packaging consisted of plastic and cardboard. It said on the label that the plastic wasn't currently recycle but the card was. I'd like to see anyone recycle the card as the plastic had been heat welded to the card! Why do we even bother......... 

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Round here's a simple affair for waste, plastics, papers & cars and metals into the Blue-lid bin, glass into the plastic tub, and everything else into the Green-lid bin, optional extra of having a brown bin for garden waste, but, if you have a garden, then you should be composting instead, or enjoying a nice bonfire (especially as it's the 5th soon!!) if you're not in a smoke-control zone... 😁

TTman
Seasoned Champion

Around here even simpler... black bin for all waste, brown bin if you want one for garden waste, two large recycling bins in street, one for glass, one for paper,cardboard, recyclycleble plastic,cans if you want to use them. As I say simples 😁😁

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A nearby town has plastic bin bags to put their rubbish in.

The place looks so much tidier plus they still have small front gardens with flowers in.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@twocvbloke wrote:

Round here's a simple affair for waste, plastics, papers & cars and metals into the Blue-lid bin, glass into the plastic tub, and everything else into the Green-lid bin, optional extra of having a brown bin for garden waste, but, if you have a garden, then you should be composting instead, or enjoying a nice bonfire (especially as it's the 5th soon!!) if you're not in a smoke-control zone... 😁

Cars in a blue lin bin.....what size of bins do you have in your area ?

u😂

We are born into history and history is born into us.
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Given how rainy it is round here, you can just sweep up the rust that used to be a car into the bin... 🤣

(Of course, I did mean cans...........)

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@billnotben 

Plastic bags where we are as well so real problem with early morning magpies that seem to exist only to tear them apart and crikey, what a mess sometimes.

So tidier? I don't think so.😃

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

I seem to recall there was a suggestion years ago that bins would be weighed and over a certain weight and you would get charged more.

Anyone remember that ?

Of course another angle is if your bin weighs more than a certain amount it will be left due to health and safety issues ....being to heavy for the men to move without possible injury.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

In Shropshire we get 3 wheelie bins - a green garden waste one, a red topped one for normal rubbish, and a purple topped one for plastic( no plastic bags though) and metals,  a square blue reinforced plastic bag for cardboard and paper with a pull over lid with velcro fastening and now two silver 'caddies' - a smaller one for the kitchen and a larger one to empty it into - the council provides lining bags FOC.  Now we never have any real waste food but any vegetable peelings etc go into our own compost bin,  so the silver caddies get used to store birdfood ( they seem to be mouse proof ).

Our neighbour does not seem to do recycling very well or at all, they stuff everything  ( cardboard, plastic takeaway containers with lots of food still in them, I guess nappies etc. etc. ) into the general waste bin,  which was so full the other day it toppled over on their sloping lawn and spewed a lot of its contents out over the road - the binmen should have refused to take it really but it all went... 

Mind you I did catch the binmen on CCTV earlier this year emptying the blue bags into the purple bins and the whole lot going into the lorry together .... oh well.

I normally leave the blue bag outside the purple bin,  but because it is full of paper and cardboard and not really waterproof I decided a few weeks ago because it was raining heavens hard to put it inside the bin,  well the whole lot went into the wagon and I had to phone the council for a new blue bag....

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Reading the various replies it really is amazing that the UK can't even standardise on what colour X bin should be.

@wotsup I used to put vegetable peelings into the compost bin until I opened the lid up one day to see a couple of mice waving at me! I decided it was an open invitation to go live in there with regular free food dropped in.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Our neighbour opposite (which is why I know) rarely puts out bags for collection and if they do it's always a black, half filled usually, general rubbish one. Never ever seen a blue recycling bag or a green food waste caddy. They do though often have  bonfires.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@idonno wrote:

Reading the various replies it really is amazing that the UK can't even standardise on what colour X bin should be.

@wotsup I used to put vegetable peelings into the compost bin until I opened the lid up one day to see a couple of mice waving at me! I decided it was an open invitation to go live in there with regular free food dropped in.

Agree,  would be so nice to have standard colours...surely a recyceld plastic ( grey ) bin with a coloured lid would be fine, rather than having the whole bin a different colour..

As long as they are woodmice i wouldn't mind,  but never seen any,  and never put the lid on the bin anyway so the local cats would be in there after the mice....