Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Plum idea, or Plum Duff?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

A Plum idea, or Plum Duff?

One of my daughters has just passed on a link about a saving scheme with Plum an online saving scheme and one I have never heard of before.

Not sure I'd be happy with them having access to my account/s, but more to find out first from sites such as Which and their take on it and other such schemes, and perhaps you guys here.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Re: A Plum idea, or Plum Duff?

Not based in Nigeria by any chance..... It pays to remember that if something seems to good to be true it normally is,  what is convenient for the user is normally also very convenient for the bad guys, and lazy / greedy people make easy pickings for scammers.

Plum is apparently integrated into Facebook Messenger - and we all know how good Facebook is at protecting peoples information..

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/team-blog/2017/03/meet-new-facebook-friend-automatic-savings-app-l...

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Indeed, and of course when like this one you get £25 if three people you have told about it join up. My old antenna goes up when I read that. 

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 2

Plum ?   Not in my fruit bowl....

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

... you get £25 if three people you have told about it join up. My old antenna goes up when I read that. 

@Minivanman 

Nationwide will give you £100 if you get one person to switch their current account to them!  The person switching also gets £100 paid into their account.  You can receive up to £500 per year using that scheme.

It's handy to have a few spare throwaway current accounts then you can take advantage of the introductory offers from various banks as advised on the MSE site https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts/

Different offers come and go and there are sometimes ones where you can get away with not having to set up pay any Direct Debits out etc. and switching from a throwaway account normally only takes a few minutes of your time, the bank does all the donkey work in the background.  That new account will then become a throwaway account in due course.

I keep a couple of long term current accounts which I don't use for switching purposes.

Over the past couple of years 18 months (just checked) I've had £250 cash from Yorkshire Bank, £125 from First Direct, £125 due soon from RBS with another £50 from them by August 2020 if I keep the account that long and provided I use their debit card at least once per month - for that I can just make a single small purchase such as milk or bread to qualify.

If they want to give easy free money away then I'll happily take it, and all from relatively reputable organisations.  Roll_eyes