Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Pain in the Neck

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

A Pain in the Neck

Occasionally I experience a Pain in the Neck.

Usually, but not always, after waking up... 

Sometimes after spending time on one of the iMacs.

(One is worse than the other !)

I have found three ways to alleviate this pain

1) Heat Rub, works almost instantly

2) Sodium Acetate hand warmer, an exothermic crystallisation hand warmer placed and held on the affected area, again almost instantly

3) Phorpain, Maximum strength Ibuprofen 10% gel, only available on Prescription. Long term effective, but slow to act (10 minutes)

In my experience, I have only found Phorpain works on Muscle aches.

Paracetamol has little effect on Muscle pain.

Other small pains in the neck, are just minor irritants, and easily ignored.

Often connected with computer use.

They soon go away, usually after a warm drink.

11 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: A Pain in the Neck

They often go away after a few BEERS too Thumbs Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
St3
All Star

better than a pain in the ass

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've been found to have arthritis in the left wrist, the right is following... have to be careful about how I position my hands in my sleep or I wake up in agony - and i'm already on prescription pain killers for something else.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Neck pain can be a sign of poor posture while sleeping, even if it's not evident on waking up, it can be a primary cause, so another solution is to change your pillows to something a little softer or firmer depending on what you presently have and of course replace them as soon as they go flat if you're the type who succumbs to the "value" of the cheapo hollowfibre things...

Infinity
Pro

7up wrote:

I've been found to have arthritis in the left wrist, the right is following... have to be careful about how I position my hands in my sleep or I wake up in agony - and i'm already on prescription pain killers for something else.

Have you tried wearing a Wrist Restraint, for sprained wrists ?

Quite inexpensive, I wore one once for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome on Computer, quite effective, after "The Cat Bite".

Infinity
Pro

twocvbloke wrote:

Neck pain can be a sign of poor posture while sleeping, even if it's not evident on waking up, it can be a primary cause, so another solution is to change your pillows to something a little softer or firmer depending on what you presently have and of course replace them as soon as they go flat if you're the type who succumbs to the "value" of the cheapo hollowfibre things...

Thanks,

We don't subscribe to using Cheapo Hollowfibre Pillows.

We use high quality firm Pillows, TBH I only get the pain very occasionally, and I think it's tied in with doing a lot of driving sometimes.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

When I read the topics title I thought it was going to be about Donald Trump Grin

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Fortunately I am pain free at present, anytime I have had any sort of joint pain I use voltorol and found it works well, makes more sense to me that applying the stuff direct to where the pain is makes more sense than taking tablets.

Works even better applying the stuff after a warm bath or shower.

Trouble is, it's not a cure, if you do not know the cause visit the GP and get a x ray.

The sad fact is that as we get older more things fail to work such as sight, hearing etc and it's a matter of adapting to live with these things.

Advice about the correct height and filling of pillows is correct.

Wish I could take mybed with me when I go on holiday.

Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Infinity wrote:

7up wrote:

Have you tried wearing a Wrist Restraint, for sprained wrists ?

Quite inexpensive, I wore one once for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome on Computer, quite effective, after "The Cat Bite".

No I haven't (I'm a bit short at the moment lol) but previous experience has taught me that stuff that is wrapped round me tight at night ends up becoming a menace. I may well have to resort to it at some point though so thanks for the suggestion.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro

The NHS measured & supplied me with a really substantial one, that did the job perfectly

I bought another as backup, never needed it though.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Earlier this year I had something called a Wry Neck with neck muscles in spasm. It took about 5 weeks to totally go away, meanwhile I used pain killers and ibprofen gel.

I came to realise my pillows in bed were causing a problem, now with just one thin pillow I no longer have a problem with my neck in the morning.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.