Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A New Version Of Windows?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: A New Version Of Windows?

I did say programmers etc lol - photoshoppers and graphics people will always prefer a full sized system.

Can't comment on watching videos as i don't do much of that - a bit of youtube here and there but never full size. But personally, i far prefer a full size machine. Yes the small ones are convenient for quickly looking something up (or even a remote terminal into your network / main PC) but they're too limiting - as much as we all wanted them thanks to Trek lol.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 55

quote from the linky a few posts back.

Coupled with the dark mode that’s also available, and Windows 11 starts to look like a more refined version of Windows 10 than something dramatically new.

seems to sum it up.... however... this could sway a lot of Linux and Mac users to switch over to Windows 11 when it is released ....

Microsoft is also using rounded corners throughout Windows 11.

couple that  with....

. The Start menu itself also includes rounded corners.

and the icing on the cake for us "non windows users"  designed to suck us back into the fold.....

This out-of-box experience also includes a new Windows 11 startup sound, which then triggers at every boot.

Oooooh.! ! !  .... can`t wait ...  GrinCheesyGrin

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 84

Nope - methinks that was a bit of a sly dig, @shutter 😀

I'm never going back - W11 still looks ugly.

John
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@shutter, you've made my day; I've been dreaming of rounded corners for years, they are going to improve my life no end.😀

I wonder whether the rounded corners that recently appeared in Firefox are in preparation for W11 so that we don't get scared when we launch Firefox in W11 and see 'sharp edges'.

I think Windows Vista had round buttons everywhere.  Has anyone tried oval yet; that would be totally revolutionary and ever so artistic?

shutter
Community Veteran

Glad to be of service !  Wink

RobPN
Hero

Having never adopted Win10, I've been bingeing on rounded corners since WinXP and Win7 (which I'm still using) so Win11 will be a sort of anti-climax for me - that's if I even let it into the house.  We'll see.

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 214

I'm having a clear out at the moment and came across a 'real' 5.25" floppy with DRDOS on it. This worked fine for me and did everything that I wanted at that time with a few add ons.

The problem with Windows is that as more bells and whistles have got added on, the vast majority of which I suspect a very,very few ever use, so have the opportunities for the bad guys in todays interconnected world to exploit.

Because the computer has progressed over this time from a geek's toy to a tool that's used for shopping, banking, medical appointments/drug ordering etc. I try to keep the computer up to date, not for the bells and whistles, but to plug the security holes that will be continually discovered in such a load of bloatware. I suspect that Windows will be a never ending vicious circle of bugs, security vulnerabilities and patches.

I would like to get off this roundabout and use Linux. I would find it an interesting change but I have to think of teaching very non techie SWMBO the differences after all the effort she has had to put into learning how to use this current set up. Also how she would deal with future Linux updates should I drop off my perch. As Linux becomes more popular you might evpect more interest by the bad guys so you can't just leave it in a fixed state without risk in the future. Maybe if Windows 11 becomes a subscription service this will geve me the push that I need to grasp this nettle.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

My friend, who is a sysadmin was moaning about W11.

Can't post his comments on here, as it involves swear words and quite brutal which made me laugh.

(Anyone who swears as much as me I get on with).

But yes he isn't impressed with it at all, and was moaning about it yesterday.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1 Once Linux Mint is installed, the "updates" are notified in a small shield icon on the lower task bar ( panel in linux speak).. all you have to do is click on that icon, and then when the window opens type in your password ( authentication in linux speak)  and maybe agree to some new stuff being installed,.. then it all happens within a minute or two..

Linux updates stuff in bits and pieces,... unlike windows, which seems to update stuff in huge chunks, that take forever, the longest "update" on current machine was for WINE... which took about 15 mins...but.. the machine was useable all the time... and the "reboot" (when needed) is only an "advisory" instruction, which will be automatically taken care of the next time the machine is booted up.

My missus has a version of Linux on her laptop, and she hasn`t a clue what operating system she is using...  she has no problem searching on Google for whatever she wants to find... e.g. wool for knitting.. gardening stuff, even holiday accommodation.. The current version of Linux Mint 20 LTS... support is scheduled to end in 2025.. to another 4 years.. one would assume that, as you keep your machines up to date.. that would give you time to re-educate your good lady.. and possibly you would have installed the newer version of Linux before your clogs were popped ! ..

The main concern you seem to have is probably when the current version of Linux that you have installed, runs out of support , when a new version is then available... this does involve some techy work,... but if she is only using it for the same kind of stuff as my missus, then it should still work.

As I have said before.... Linux and WIndows are only the "base" for all the other stuff that we use, to work with.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1    ( and anyone else contemplating switching to Linux Mint and concerned about updates and support long term )

Just been reading something  and came across this...

Looking ahead, Linux Mint 20 will receive security updates until 2025.

Until 2022, future versions of Linux Mint will use the same package base.

This means it will be trivial to upgrade to the next few versions. 

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Jonpe wrote: I wonder whether the rounded corners that recently appeared in Firefox are in preparation for W11 so that we don't get scared when we launch Firefox in W11 and see 'sharp edges'.

Rounded corners? Mmm Running FF 89.0.1 (64-bit) here. I've been robbed because my corners are still square. How you go round? 😀

@shutter  Let's be realistic. Any update is a right pain, be it Windows, Linux or even Android. At the end, we all just pray and hope it fires up okay again when all is done and dusted. All the programmers in the world think that people buy devices for them that know to tinker with. I buy them to actually do some productive work etc. Not hang around while they play their little game. Time can be serious money. As someone mentioned its still a screen, a keyboard etc running some software on a little box. Hasn't changed since 1995 (might even be earlier) when I got my first box.

How often do you go to do something and its update time? Last night I thought I'd have a quick game on World of Warships.... 7.5Gb later and god knows how many minutes went by, it said I could go play. By that time I'd lost interest!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
shutter
Community Veteran

@idonno  Nope.... Linux Updates are not a right pain, as you put it..... 

Linux updates are easy peasy... and... if you read my last posts correctly... you will have seen how simple the update process is... there is no " hanging " as with windows.. where the download strangles the machine, while it does its stuff...

also as mentioned.. the current version of Linux Mint will be supported until 2025.. and after that further "whole o.s. change of version number" will be a simple "click here, there, and there." and job done. 

Personally, updates do not affect me in any way, and I am using my laptop ALL day long.. from about 0830 to 2359... if the update says.." you need to reboot for this update to take effect"... it has to wait until I am closing down for the day.. and the reboot is effectively a new start on a new day...

no hanging about for "Linux is configuring your updates" messages  ... no  problem at all..

RobPN
Hero

@shutter wrote:

... Once Linux Mint is installed, the "updates" are notified in a small shield icon on the lower task bar ( panel in linux speak).. all you have to do is click on that icon, and then when the window opens type in your password ( authentication in linux speak) 

@shutter 

So Linux-speak has its own terms for 'task bar' (translates to 'panel') and 'password' (translates to 'authentication') but it still opens a 'window'!  Roll_eyes Cheesy

That sounds ominously like those vegetarians who have lamb-chop or bacon styled versions of their chosen food, but containing no meat!  Funny

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN   Yeah... I know what you mean..!  

Never understood how you can have Vegan Pork Chops ! ......

The difference between Windows and Linux terms, could be similar to comparing different local dialects in the UK English language.... especially Yokshur to English as wot normal people speek  ! .

Beck = Stream      Bank = Hill       Foss = Waterfall.. etc...  Takes a while to get used to ..... but makes sense in the end ! .

Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

Try an Apple device if you want to experience true update elegance.