Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A New Version Of Windows?

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 201

A New Version Of Windows?

I ahve just spotted this https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/3/22466394/microsoft-windows-11-launch-teaser-rumors?utm_source=pock...

I wonder if this will be a subscription only version like Microsoft Office is going.

If so I guess there will be a few years to get more familiar with Linux before Win 10 support ends.

57 REPLIES 57
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

Re: A New Version Of Windows?

Well, After reading through that linky.... it just seems to me to be another way of "improving" something that works ( for 95% of Windows users ! )... by adding lots of "glitter" and "gloss"...

Let`s face it... if it really is a "NEW" Windows... then all of those users who now have Windows10  and earlier versions, are gonna have to re-learn how to use the "NEW" windows... 

Unfortunately, this is ( i feel ) a load of advertising hype... as it was for Win10...   with some new complicated ways of doing things, ( the hard way ) being touted as "NEW" ..

It took me a long time to get used to the ways of Linux, but I`m happy with it now.... still get the odd thing I don`t/can`t figure out. but there are some very helpful people on this forum,.... and of course   Google is your friend  ! ...  Won`t be going back to Windows,....NEW or older ! ... Smiley

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

+1

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Don't want to tempt fate but version 20H2 hasn't decided to impose itself on me yet.  I had nothing better to do on Friday night so I thought I'd let it install the June updates.  I'm glad I started at the end of Newsnight because it took about two hours.  For some reason I've now got the weather on the taskbar (right side) and when I click on it, I get news, football results etc.  This is already available by clicking on a tile by the start menu I think.

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero

@Jonpe 

….  For some reason I've now got the weather on the taskbar (right side) and when I click on it, I get news, football results etc.  

And me, I spent ages this afternoon without success trying to get rid of it.

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

@Baldrick1 wrote:
I spent ages this afternoon without success trying to get rid of it.

Had the same issue yesterday - a sunshine graphic and whatever the temperature was.

Eventually discovered all that's needed is to right-click the icon, select 'News and Interests', and then select 'TURN OFF'.

Penny Rollo * Force 9 from 17/02/98 * PlusNet from 2000 onwards
Project HappyChild - free maths worksheets, free French-English worksheets + 12 other languages
personal site www.pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

@Jonpe wrote:

so I thought I'd let it install the June updates. 

I'm glad I started at the end of Newsnight because it took about two hours

Crikey me,.... Two Hours ? ?    

Makes you wonder what was wrong with the "original" programming, if it needed THAT LONG to correct it/update it....

dvorak
Fixes: 1,231

I suspect that there will be an upfront purchase for a new license (probably baked into the cost of a new machine), but after that you'll keep getting updates forever.
Much like the macOS model.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jgb
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 15

@dvorak  - I thought that was supposed to be the marketing model for W10. When it came out MS suggested that you would never need another OS as it would be continually updated.

dvorak

I don't see a version number changing that, they want to be a platform and charging end users for access would impact that.
Customer / Moderator
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero

I hope so but suspect that Office 365 may be the thin end of the wedge. There's probably more money to be made from a subscription service now that organisations are committed to Microsoft products.

dvorak

Here it is in all it's errr glory

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/15/22535123/microsoft-windows-11-leak-screenshots-start-menu

Still don't think they'll sell it, but more use it for a base as its other services, such as XBOX game pass and Office.
Plus if they do launch an app store on it to get a cut they'll need to give it away.
Customer / Moderator
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Baldrick1 wrote:

I hope so but suspect that Office 365 may be the thin end of the wedge. There's probably more money to be made from a subscription service now that organisations are committed to Microsoft products.

Probably right. The company I work for has gone over to Office 365, when for the past few years its been use anything but MS. And we've fazed out Windows 7 in its entirety now to go over to Windows 10 with mini PC's leading the way. Which isn't unusual as its a very rare any company will lightly step into a new OS system but then W10 has been out for quite some time now.

Personally, I haven't had too many problems with W10 - a couple maybe but it seems support for W10 falls in 2025. But saying that, given the supposed new release coming, I had quite a sizeable update last night. Downloading it didn't take long but the install seem to go on forever, such I really did think about pulling the plug on it.

I see they reckon that W11 will be the biggest update yet. I just hope that doesn't mean file size. Averaging 5Gb so far over the past couple of W10 updates but then thinking about the 95Gb download for the flight sim, sort of makes that a pip squeak in the grand scheme of things.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

@shutter wrote:

Well, After reading through that linky.... it just seems to me to be another way of "improving" something that works ( for 95% of Windows users ! )... by adding lots of "glitter" and "gloss"..

This has always been my attitude towards system updates too. Nothing major changes visually and the operating system has been fine and stable before that so whats the point?

For me a new version of windows is exactly like you say, a polished turd lol. It's still a computer, it still manages the motherboards power features, displays a screen, runs programs.. it might look a bit snazzier and have new ways of doing old things (those IT guys have to have something to be experts about right?) but really, what is the point these days?

If there was some ultra new tech that came about in computing that current versions couldn't support (eg a new hardware device in a similar vein to USB once being new) then i could understand it but these days there's not a lot of new physical stuff being invented for PCs and most operating systems from XP onwards now advanced enough to handle new drivers etc.

I'm still on Win7. Yes it may well now be a decade old but it still works and does a great job. It's stable (429 days of uptime proves that - from a OS that's not been reinstalled for around 9 years) and as a 64bit OS has enough clock ticks left to see the end of the universe - if the motherboard doesn't rot away into dust first.

I appreciate M$ have a lot of mouths to feed via the payroll so to a point they do still need to work hard and prove their worth but they need to come up with some dramatically new advancements rather than redesigns. They've failed to adapt to the mobile market and that is their biggest mistake by far. Desktop PCs will always be popular with programmers etc but the demand for them has shrunk dramatically now that so many people use a mobile phone to do most things.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@7up wrote: Desktop PCs will always be popular with programmers etc but the demand for them has shrunk dramatically now that so many people use a mobile phone to do most things.

I'd agree with most things you mention but while I do use a mobile phone for quite a lot of things. When it comes to gaming, graphic design work etc, a desktop or laptop is a bit of a no brainer. Same with watching videos / films, you cannot beat a big screen for it to come to life. On a mobile its like watching through (dare I say it) a window! 😁

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?