Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A New Version Of Windows?

Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

Re: A New Version Of Windows?

Couldn’t upgrade our iPhone 5s to use the NHS COVID-19 app, expensive to replace.....

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 214

@Mook wrote:

Try an Apple device if you want to experience true update elegance.

Do you mean that if they are more than a few years old they are ignored and no longer updated? That's definitely the case with my older iPads. The apps are then updated so that you can't use them.

Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

I'd see that as an incentive to go out and buy new toys. Wink

Having said that, I have an iPhone 6 running the current IOS 14.6. It serves a propose and does what I need it to and I would, if the truth be told, I'd be disappointed if they pensioned it off.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,285

I have an 8 year old MacBook Pro with the latest updates and OS.
Can't imagine that been the case with Windows.
And android phones are lucky to get maybe 2 years of updates.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@idonno, when I updated to FF89.0, I got rounded corners and it was mentioned on their "What's new" page.  I also get a blue frame around boxes I've ticked, and the 'preferred' button to click on is in blue.  What I don't like is that the BACK and FORWARD arrows are very faint, as is the text in the address bar, pale grey on paler grey isn't terribly clever.

@RobPN, perhaps Linux should use Skylight instead of Window since skylights are more secure against break-ins.

And are vegan pork chops also kosher?

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

That's interesting to read @Jonpe Although in mine the actual window is still very square, I've just noticed the various buttons are rounded a bit - not that I'd have ever noticed tbh if you hadn't mentioned it. I don't seem to have any problems with the arrows but then I use dark mode (with the addon Midnight Lizard active on various websites). White text on a black background shows up pretty well.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 8

@dvorak 

I have an 8 year old Toshiba Portege R830 laptop running the latest version of Windows 10 and a much older desktop running Windows 10. Also, I have an older iMac running MacOs that stopped being updateable some years ago.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,285

But windows 10 is already 6 years old and hasn't gone through the massive overhauls that macOS has.
Control panel for instance still has leftovers from 95 / xp.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
daveplus
Pro

@dvorak 

I think that most computer users are not interested in constant upgrades with "new" features that do very little of use. Certainly corporate customers that are the biggest source of revenue for Microsoft do not want to have to be training their staff in the latest tweaks every few months.

Dave

ps I like that Control Panel still exists but it should have been left intact. 

Champnet
Seasoned Champion

Most Corporate IT departments control the updates to the end users using wuss servers. Most unwanted features will be unavailable or disabled.

daveplus
Pro

WSUS!

Champnet
Seasoned Champion

Thanks for the correction, wonder where wuss came from.....

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 33

Freudian slip?

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 214

As they say in Devon, Yer Tizz: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/microsoft-windows-11-upgrade-free-computer...

It looks as though it is a free upgrade but not unless you have a TPM 2 chip in your motherboard, so that's me out.

It will be interesting in 2025 when allegedly they will stop supporting Windows 10, I doubt that I'm the only one!

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 84

So glad I won't have to worry about it - apart from a couple of programs I haven't searched very hard for Linux alternatives, my Linux machine does everything I want - and I haven't even checked yet if they will run under WINE, although I suspect they will - so - bye-bye Windows. 😀

John