cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Near Miss!

Community Veteran

A Near Miss!

A man had a very lucky escape yesterday morning when he was hit by a train travelling at 100mph.  The man was using his mobility scooter and got caught on a level crossing at Kelvedon near Colchester.
Accident

9 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: A Near Miss!

two more pictures here  /news/9158836.Amazing_escape_for_mobility_scooter_man_clipped_by_100mph_train/?ref=rss>http://www.br...

the crossing has two half barrier and the Transport police has said they have been tested since the accident and are working correctly.
my thoughts, how can tyres like that get stuck? the transport police would not comment

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Bet they didn't get stuck, more like the barriers came down, he froze and panicked...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

on the Lunch time news the Transport Police said they are thinking of charging him with trespass
Community Veteran

But if he's on a crossing you can't be done for trespassing can you? - It's open to the public until the barriers come down. If the barriers came down after he'd gone onto the crossing then how is it his fault?  Shocked
Barmey...
Community Veteran

Best to wait for the investigation to be completed then we'll know.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

agreed,  It was also stated that for a train  travelling at 100mph, there is enough time to walk over the crossing when the red light go on.
I do use that crossing and it is a long time - relitively speaking
Community Veteran

All seems a bit weird doesn't it. I agree, most crossings i've used have a lengthened crossing time.. makes you wonder why he didn't get off it and hobble away from it.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

this was an even more frightening one  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-14291242
A 56-year-old woman has been rescued after being trapped overnight in her car when it plunged over a cliff in north-west Cornwall in misty weather.
The car rolled several times down the 300ft (91m) cliff at St Agnes Head before coming to rest on a ledge metres from a large drop.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If the Car had rolled again she would have been a goner.
Very lucky to escape that, hope she does the lottery this week with luck like that she should be in with a good chance.