cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Month of bad Luck

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

A Month of bad Luck

I Seem to have had a run of bad luck this month, first Royal Mail managed to lose an expensive lens I sold on e-bay even though it was sent by special delivery.
Then My Humax PVR locked up and is virtually useless at present (see my other post) and finally I get a letter from Britannia Rescue to tell me my membership is cancelled for non payment even though I pay by direct debit.... seems they sent a letter out last month asking members to complete a new form for direct debit but I never got this so they assumed I did not wish to continue my membership.  Why they have to fiddle around with something that works is beyond me and I cannot understand why they did not phone or send an e-mail about this. Imagine if I broke down and then contacted them only to discover I was no longer a member.
Sorry for all this griping but writing it down makes me feel better , I am aware most people have far greater problems that these.... perhaps it my age, the older I get the more these things minor things bug me !
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: A Month of bad Luck

I had an awful run of bad luck back in about March 2007 – it wasn't major things, but lots of small things like constantly missing train connections that made me feel extremely unlucky once they started adding up. And do you know what the weird thing was? About a week in to my run of bad luck I suddenly twigged: around the time it started, I had walked underneath a ladder. I'm not superstitious, and even if I had been it took me a week to realise I'd walked under a ladder, so for that first week I'd have had nothing to be superstitious about. Very spooky. Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I had quite a spell of bad luck, yep, little things, that made life difficult, more than major catastrophe`s... so after a while it was really getting me down, and I thought it was about time I did something about it... No, I don`t remember walking under a ladder, and never really thought about superstitious stuff, until one morning I put my left sock on first and then the right one, and then the left shoe and then the right one.... for some unknown reason everything started to be more normal from that morning onwards....  Smiley
brings to mind the old wives tale....."Always put your best foot forward"...  Smiley
just had another thought, when I was in the Sea Cadets, before I joined the Navy, we were given parade ground drill lessons ,,, you know, marching and stuff.... we always started with the LEFT FOOT first. ! 
Now there`s a thought..... best foot forward.... Left sock,  left foot to start marching.  ?    Hmmm  Huh
still make sure I do the left sock first, and if I make a mistake, and do the right one, then off it comes, and start again !  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Me too Shutter, always put my left sock on first.  Same rule with shoes.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Abso-blooming-lutely. And left cuff buttoned first, or it just don't feel right.
Not young enough to know everything
Fixes: 104

Hmm never thought about it but I do my left sock first too. I'll blame cadets as well.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I always assumed it was because I was left-handed but maybe not Wink
N/A

On first feeling a rush of bad luck, my advice is to go to bed until the feeling wears off!  Wink
Community Veteran

I can tell you about bad luck I really can! I hope this makes you feel better guys!
Last May (200Cool I think, I was coming home from work and saw a live chicken at the side of the road pecking away at the ground (as they do) so decided to pull over and shoo it out of the road. pulled onto the side of the road only to realise i'd be blocking someones drive. So.. I pulled forwards but didn't realise the grass verge was higher than the sump on the engine. BANG! Went and scared the chicken away from the road, jumped in the car and drove off. Just down the road I realised that I should look under the car so pulled over took a look, oil leaking from the sump. Had to be recovered home. Took it to the garage the next day for a sump repair and cambelt change. They fixed the sump but the belt gave them hell (original belt on a 10 year old car) so that never got done. Took it out for a test drive.... over a roundabout BANG glug glug glug.... pulled over and had a look. Oil filter bracket had fallen off leaking all the engines oil out onto the roundabout (not the best of places). They hadn't fitted the damn thing back on properly. So another recovery home. Called the mechanic, had a bit of a shouting match and he came to look at the car. I was supposed to be flying abroad at 2 am that morning! They lent me a car to run the other half to the airport but I had to stay behind Sad Oh.. and the cambelt STILL hasn't been done. Pesky Volvo engine with non standard volvo parts and fittings mean that the car I really wanted has been nothing but a nightmare when it comes to mechanics! What makes it worse is we have two of them... and guess what the second one also needs doing to it?
So hows that? Save a chicken and pay £200 for the privilege, car is bodged (almost costing an engine) and then I miss my trip abroad - all in the space of 3 days!
But thats not all.... I have other really rotten luck with cars too. Last XMas was cancelled cos our other car (megane) blew its head gasket, the xmas before that the fiat bravo's gear box blew itself away (and in time for the january sales the oil pump then died and seized the engine) and the Xmas before that was cancelled for something similar too. I was hoping this year we might stand half a chance.. except I've got a new job starting 23rd Dec and have to work..... through Xmas!  Angry Shocked Grin
But if you think thats bad, you should check out my other luck! I'm a really unlucky consumer. Almost everything I buy is defective and has to be returned! Bought the GF a nice watch for her birthday.. had to take that back, then the replacement went wrong too so that went back, the 3rd was no better and also went back and I ended up asking for petrol money on top (which they actually paid!).
Then theres (In no particular order):

• The socket set I bought recently... had a duff socket so that went back (as you'll see below I've learnt to expect this)

• Computer with a defective IDE channel (years ago)

• GWO laptop with dead battery and charging socket (so couldn't even be powered from the mains)

• Wifi card for laptop.. which didn't work (discovered this once I was abroad and needed it  Angry)

• Computer monitor which didn't display properly (never took it back as it was only in POST)

• CD burner which had to be replaced 3 times

• MP3 player which was replaced 5 times

• Computer keyboard with USA layout  Angry (From Woolworths and they didn't give a damn...  What goes around...)

• TV so defective it was recalled TWICE (and the 3rd which is a completely different make has a bad teletext decoder)

• Mobiles that kept rebooting

• Hard drives (don't ask  Lips are sealed)

• Torque wrench (had defective locking mechanism causing more greif)

• Car battery delivered leaking

• Coil spring compressors - safety arm part snapped and had to get replacement sent to me

• Shock absorber - allen key slot rounded out half way through tightening, eventually got it back out the car for replacement (and yes that one did the same Shocked)

• USB2 hub - delivered a USB1.1

• Computer fans - always have trouble with them and have to grease them up

• Router turned up 2 weeks late due to no postage... I had copy of receipt - PO forgot to put the stamps on

• New car (1st one mentioned) picked it up and Speedo jammed within 5 minutes - 300 mile drive back and numerous speed traps  Cheesy

• and thats the TIP of the iceberg

Then last year... working in an outdoor job which requires fair bit of walking my knees started to play up  Shocked
There's so much more too  Sad
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Okrzyansk,
Hearing about your bad luck doesn't make me feel better but the things you highlight are interesting.
Electric kettles never seem to last me more than a year and a midi hi system less than 6 months old has had to be returned several times.
As for cars, I have been driving for over 40 years and have had more trouble with my present car (and more expense) than any other car I have owned.
I am now convinced that the standard of many products is getting worse due to poor components being used or some firms are selling items classed as new but have been returned faulty by someone else.
Anyway they say things come in threes so hope I have had my share for the month.
Today is Friday 13th so perhaps I should stay in for the day !
N/A

Well, I was astonished when I read that lot! 
It makes me realise how lucky I am - only had one computer actually break down and that was a few years ago.
I agree that kettles do need replacing occasionally, but mine do seem to last at least a couple of years.
Washing machines don't go far with me but this time I have bought a Miele and am told that these are really solid so hopefully will be OK.
Panasonic TV is going strong 3 years on and showing no signs of trouble.
Car is a Yaris and never given any trouble in the 4 years that we have had it.
Mind you, annoying though these problems are, more important is that  you and yours are healthy and well  -  the rest are only things.
jmd
Grafter

Well, I had to replace my Sony laptop recently cos the hard drive went - 4 yrs before I had the hard drive go on my Packard Bell Desktop.
Well, the Packard Bell was a constant source of problems - in the 12 mth warranty period is was at PC World more than it was at my house [motherboard replaced, fan replaced, something elese replaced etc], then I kept having problems with it after that and the hard disk went when it was 18 mths old!
The Sony went back once to John Lewis because the CD drive stuck.
So have taken out "at home 3 warranty" on this Dell laptop having had bad times with computers........................probably this one will go just after the warranty!!  or hopefully it may be third time lucky and last for years and years....................
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Okrzyansk,
Hearing about your bad luck doesn't make me feel better but the things you highlight are interesting.

Sorry about that! Most people usually find it very funny Wink
Quote from: gleneagles
Electric kettles never seem to last me more than a year and a midi hi system less than 6 months old has had to be returned several times.

I've also noticed that. Whats more I swear the damn things are dangerous as our last one started leaking boiling water everywhere (and this was the same kettle that would RANDOMLY turn itself on  Shocked).
nadger
Rising Star

You lot are making me feel guilty about just having won the lottery 3 times in under 4 weeks - only a £10 per time but better than a kick up the rear.
Add to that the letter just received from DWP that a claim they made for pension overpayment has been resolved in my favour - pretty speedy as only challenged it on 27th April 2006 - yes that is a six.  Smiley
Community Veteran

You lucky s*d!!!
I had to put in a claim recently (hang on here is that bad consumer luck again) and they turned it down saying I'd not paid enough NI contributions in last 2 years. Strange that cos the last 2.5 I was working!
Needless to say I continued to pester them on the phone... as if by magic my contributions suddenly turned up and my claim became valid!
I bought £10 worth of lotto tickets once and won my tenner back. I took that as a sign not to bother lol so never tried again since!