cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Message from the Government

Community Veteran

A Message from the Government

The government is planning to use text messaging to alert us to major incidents.  The scheme is being trialed in Easingwold North Yorkshire, Glasgow city centre and  Leiston Suffolk, over the next two months.
Warning

14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: A Message from the Government

So.... the government is getting in on the act of sending spam texts, to everyone, so that we don`t complain about it anymore...  Nice one !  Cheesy
Fixes: 124

Any emergency would probably be over by the time I get a message considering how bad the signal is here.
I often get messages the day after they've been sent Angry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

In fairness I don't think it's a bad idea tbh especially if they could mass-text all phones in an affected area.
Imagine being stuck in an area with an incident and they can target all phones in the area and let everyone know the latest. I think it's a nifty idea to be honest.
As long as it isn't misused, I think it has potential.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Excellent idea,  but needs a little more thought, parts of the area surrounding Easingwold (Raskelf and Huby as examples) have  no 2G coverage.
Quote from: Mav
I often get messages the day after they've been sent Angry

How long do the service providers keep the messages for?
Heloman
Grafter

I'll remain in blissful ignorance.
I do have an old mobile phone on my daughter's insistence, but I have never needed or wanted to use texting and don't even know how to  Grin
Community Veteran

If there is some sort of imminent bomb threat isn't mobiles a big no no? Phone in a possible threat then the government text message sets off the bomb.
Is it true that mobile towers are turned off in the states with some bomb threats?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I think you'll find that RF triggers were tuned to the frequencies the police etc use.
Think about it, if it were triggered by mobile phone RF signal the bomber would barely have chance to escape after planting it as someone somewhere is always on one of the pesky things.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Now why did they choose Leiston as one of the trial locations? Could it be the very large installation on the coast a couple of miles away? If it's as safe as they say why don't they build one in the middle of London?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
if it were triggered by mobile phone RF signal the bomber

As I understood things it's the power to the phones ringer that sets off the bomb.
Incoming call/text ring ring boom.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: billnotben
If there is some sort of imminent bomb threat isn't mobiles a big no no? Phone in a possible threat then the government text message sets off the bomb.
Is it true that mobile towers are turned off in the states with some bomb threats?

Two points come to mind here.....
1.,  would the people of Easingwold like to know that the government is trying to blow them upHuh?Huh
2... What is so important about Easingwold, that any potential terrorist is going to do the dirty on them, and the government needs to warn the populace of that quiet corner of N.Yorkshire in advance ?
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
would the people of Easingwold like to know that the government is trying to blow them upHuh?Huh

Call/text to the phone sets off the bomb. Cell towers are turned off to prevent other bombs being set off.
So a generalised government text would set off such a bomb.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=boston-marathon-bomb-attack
Community Veteran

of course it's not only bombs they will alert us to.  Another peril discussed is that of flooding.
RichAllen
Grafter

If "Call me Dave" thinks he's sending me a text every week he can sod right off, I get enough spam texts from companies trying to sell me stuff I don't want as it is.
Community Veteran

Maybe I'm missing something but, at home we have a TV and in the car we have a radio.
If they have a "trial alert" will there be a rise in car accidents as drivers frantically read their "warning danger" texts? Sad