Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Matter of Principle

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

A Matter of Principle

This is not about the amount but the principle.

Ordered a 2m of Cable-Tex Spiral Binding via Amazon at a cost of £1.55 plus free UK delivery - only to note that when it was delivered the price had changed to £1.78 plus tax of 36p giving a total of £2.14.

Checking back on my order history and that also shows a total of £2.14 - so what going on? Then decided to re-order to see what happens and my original order pops up and there it is, £1.55 plus free UK delivery! 

As said this is not money it's principle and I'm suspecting than many recipients would just shrug and assume a mistake but if this outfit is repeating this 'error' with every order they get that's going to end up as a tidy sum. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
47 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: A Matter of Principle

Amazon don't normally do free delivery on orders less than £20 so is there a delivery charge being added at check-out?

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero

This did not come from Amazon themselves Strat but from one of their 'partners' if that's the right term. I was aware of the £20 delivery guide by the way but on my checkout there was no added charges and I have now saved and printed a copy of it.

Something is not right that's for sure. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Would this have anything to do with your location being deemed 'remote'. I found a similar product from TR Sales UK and when added to the shopping basket and going to the checkout the price remained at the 1.55 you quote. But if it's not the same supplier then it may be different.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If there is nothing on their website to indicate extra charges such as the example given by @Mook then it's misleading.

If you contact them they might say it's a genuine error and refund you the difference....problem sorted.

If however they either do not respond or give you a load of waffle I would take it up with Amazon who must have some responsibility for giving links to their site

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman

The term you're looking for is 'Market Place Seller'. Prices rise and fall on a daily basis on Amazon, the trick is to double check before ordering. 

EDIT

Just found the item you referred too and it does look like you've been charged a higher price. See below screen capture 

Delivery.jpg

The below image shows the item as being funded by my gift certificate, no mention of additional charges here! I notice the sellers profile also makes no mention of additional charges for remote locations. 

I think based on what you told us in your first post my suspicions might well be right, the item was originally priced at £1.55 with free delivery but this price had increased slightly when you placed your order. You might not have noticed that increase? Of course looking back through your history it might now be showing the current price which again is £1.55

Buy Now.jpg

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

As an after thought and seeing as it's not a huge amount you could always reflect your concerns in your feedback about this company. Chances are if you contact this seller they'll just refund the difference or waive the costs if you're not happy. I've done this several times and almost always you get the product for free. Cheesy

Minivanman
Hero

Thanks guys, I know it easy to get confused when you are dealing with these seller 'experts' but on this I think I am being diddled. As it stands I am following it up with both Amazon and the supplier for an explanation.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Seller 'expert'?

As I say in my last comment chances are they'll waive the costs if you contact the seller. They prefer to keep their reputation and for a small amount why would they risk it?

Don't bother asking Amazon, I've had numerous dealings with their off-shore support and getting to grips with their foreign accents is enough to make you want to kill yourself. It's a lot of hassle even to make them understand your problem.

Minivanman
Hero

@MKSlinky

I have done that on my feedback and yes, as you say they may refund the difference. Small beer really but my bigger concern was the fact that many others might be getting misled in the same way. 

Seems like the old time market traders have moved into cyberspace.

"Wolf nipple chips, get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely" Smiley

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

I forgot about this little gem!

This website allows you to input the URL for a particular product on Amazon to check it's price history. As you will see the current price is indeed £1.55 and it has been falling steadily since October. There were two occasions where it was higher as follows:

Jan 17th 2017 at 10.53 pm Price = £1.79

Jan 17th 2017 at 05.50 am Price = £2.09

See this link, it's very useful when spotting price trends:

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Cable-Tex-Spiral-Binding-BLACK-Cable/product/B003CL6MVA

Minivanman
Hero

Finally, after fifty years my computer mouse has arrived. Now where can I plug it in?

3000.jpg 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Gosh, that is old, it's only a single button mouse, you sure it's not for an old model Apple?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman   I wooden have a clue... ! Undecided

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

My dearly departed friend who lived in America was an IT Consultant at the local school but did quite a lot of private PC repairs. One day he got a call from an elderly lady who had just taken delivery of her first computer but couldn't get it to work. On arrival he could see she had got it all set up but the computer was stuck at the login screen, after a brief moment he discovered the problem.., the dear old lady had only placed the mouse on the floor under the table. Apparently this caused quite a laugh when he told her, "no madam, you don't use it like your sewing machine"!