Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Massive Furry Spider in the Bath !!!!

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

A Massive Furry Spider in the Bath !!!!

When I say massive, in the dim light from another room,  it looked massive !
It's around 2" across, glad it's in the Bath, and not on the ceiling above the Bed...
The furry legs show up really well in the photo.
I've just checked all the ceilings and covings, it seems to be a loner, but there may be others.
Not quite ready for bed yet !
(They do have more legs than us, and they can run really fast across the carpet)

At least it wasn't one of these...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2713030/Gardener-bitten-false-widow-spider-nearly-loses-le...

UPDATE:

The Spider has been "buried at Sea"...
W.C.

25 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: A Massive Furry Spider in the Bath !!!!

Speaking of spider webs.
Every time I go to my car there are spider web filaments stretched between the door mirror and the body of the car.
I get rid of them and next day they are back.
They can survive a 70 mph journey.
Am I to assume that the perpetrator resides inside the mirror?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

I'm amazed at something so small can produce so much material in a short amount of time.
TORPC
Grafter

That is cruela devil
How would you like it, if someone / thing a million times the size of you drowned you down their loo ?Huh
Seriously got to love the comments
Yes. Only last week I lost a foot and my left kidney to a particularly belligerent woodlouse. Did it stop me getting up at 2am for a 26 hour day down t'pit. Did it bye eckers like laddie...arrrrr....pieces of eight! arrr..jimlad...arrrr....hoist the mainsail, shiver me timbers .....arrrrrrr!

The good old common house spider will never hurt you, & spiders are extremely good for capturing the other creepy crawlies for their food source
Our resident spiders have names derivative of Fred (since I was a wee lad) & they know when we want a bath or shower as they have learned not to get wet Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
I'm amazed at something so small can produce so much material in a short amount of time.

You obviously haven't had kids Wink
myredhotcar
Grafter

It's a male Tegenaria. You'll be seeing more over the next couple of months...
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: TORPC
That is cruela devil
How would you like it, if someone / thing a million times the size of you drowned you down their loo ?Huh

I didn't drown it !!
It died a natural death overnight...

Quote from: myredhotcar
It's a male Tegenaria.

Thanks.
I was hoping someone could identify it.
We have had quite a few minuscule spider babies in that bathroom, less than 2mm size, there is a large spiders web outside under that window sill.
I'm off to Google Tegenaria !

Now I wish I hadn't !!
House spiders of the genus Tegenaria are fast-running
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_house_spider
myredhotcar
Grafter

There are quite a few in this country, there are certain regional variations and it is notoriously difficult to ID certain members of that family without looking at the spider's bits with a microscope. It is usually easier to sex them as the male pedipalps often look like boxing gloves. At this time of the year the males will be scurrying into homes to seek out females (that tend to live hidden away in your home), and it is usually males you see running across the floor or in the bath. A lot of people seem to believe the spiders come in to escape the cold (which is nonsense as they are cold-blooded).
If you dislike these spiders don't Google Tegenaria parietina  Wink Luckily these are somewhat rarer and tend to prefer older buildings. Also, the cellar - or daddy long legs depending on what part of the UK you are from - spider (Pholcus phalangioides) will happily eat the much larger tegenaria spiders and are sometimes less offensive to an arachnophobe so you may want to leave them be whenever possible.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

You HAD to say DON'T Google it!!
Lips are sealed
myredhotcar
Grafter

Grin
Community Veteran

I always carefully pick them up and put them outside.
Spiders are our friends.
Unless you are very little with six legs.
Community Veteran

The wife and I had a touring holiday in South Africa. One of the places we stayed over night was the De Wildt Cheetah Sanctuary. The place is away from large towns and has electric fences to keep out wild animals, but apparently these don't work with spiders. My missus is absolutely terrified of spiders, it took a great deal of control during dinner not to tell her that a large Rain Spider was on the wall just behind her shoulder. The body on it was about 3 cms long with big legs as well. The waiter came to serve us pudding and saw the spider. He just shooed it away and which point my wife almost fainted. He said, "Don't worry about those, they come into the buildings when rain is expected and are pretty harmless. The one you need to watch for is the button spider. She's got a web just outside reception and they are poisonous."  For some reason we moved on to another location the following day.  I've since discovered the Button Spider is the local Black Widow.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
Speaking of spider webs.
Every time I go to my car there are spider web filaments stretched between the door mirror and the body of the car.
I get rid of them and next day they are back.
They can survive a 70 mph journey.
Am I to assume that the perpetrator resides inside the mirror?

Everytime I move somewhere in my house I hit a web. I have to go down a narrow path to get to my car. I hit webs and spiders just sat there waiting for me. Every day every time. They make webs in the cubby holes IN my car! god know how they get in. My mirror is a sealed unit and I get that also.
Where I used to live I never saw  one not even a tiny one for 3 years.
I have 2 small ones who always stick their legs out of the bottom of the radiator but as soon as I approach  they literally leg it.
You see I hate spiders like the one you found in your bath BUT I adore Tarantulas and have had one in the past. They are things of beauty. About as fast as a clump of soil.  Weird huh!?
Infinity
Pro

beeceegee
Rising Star

Quote from: Strat

This morning I found that a spider had thrown a single strand between the car mirror and a plant pot on the porch - it must have been all of 5ft and almost horizontal. How do they do that?