cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Mars A Day Helps You...

Steve
Pro

A Mars A Day Helps You...

Get In fines and charges, the woman was penalised £328.75 for stealing food worth 75p - over 438 times the value of the theft. It seems likely that she'll be unable to pay and may end up in prison.
Hungry Kidderminster woman stole Mars bars after benefit sanctions left her with no money for food
"A woman who stole the cheapest food in a store because she was hungry and had no money was told by a magistrate it was not acceptable she stole 'just for being hungry'.
Louisa Sewell was the latest victim of benefit sanctions to appear before magistrates when she stole a four pack of Mars bars, worth just 75p, from Heron Foods in the Swan Centre, Kidderminster, on June 22, because she had not eaten in days.

iain dunkin smith must be chuffed.

Of course you probably wont hear about these things on the six clock news.

http://www.kidderminstershuttle.co.uk/news/13587194.display/
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: A Mars A Day Helps You...

can't send miscreants to australia for stealing a loaf of bread any more.  how times don't change.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Stoopid Magistrate....

How on earth does he think, that fining a woman, who has no money for food, is going to....
. A) be able to pay the fine.....or  B) be "punished" for her crime.. and C) ...Giving her a criminal record, she will never be able to get a job.... so, will never pay the fine... probably get hauled back in court and end up in prison....
So..this Magistrate, has done her more harm than the DSS and he went home to a nice warm house with his supper on the table...

Ah well..... That`s British Justice for you.....

Nice One...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

This country is so draconian. Nothing seems to change, our idiot leaders don't seem to learn and then they'll preach to us about morals while sending out people to war and killing others.
It never ceases to amaze me just how much they love their money (and every penny they can claim) and then enjoy being as harsh as possible on those they refuse financial help to.
Yet for some crazy reason, the americans, canadians, autralians etc love our country and view it as some sort of wonderful place where they were privileged to descend from via their ancestors who were expelled, escaped, sent out to invade, declared independency from us... etc. The harsh truth is that Oz, Yankeeland and the mountys created their countries by leaving this one (voluntarily or by force) because this country is so down on its own people.
While we are lucky to have some perks (NHS for example - until it's privatised for profit at least) this country in general is not good to people. It encourages a big gap between rich and poor and then punishes the poor because they've been walked all over and struggle to survive.
Thanks for posting Steve
Quote from: shutter
So..this Magistrate, has done her more harm than the DSS and he went home to a nice warm house with his supper on the table...

No doubt saying to his family things like "I don't know whats the matter with these people.. it was only 75 pence... " and thus influencing his own family to think badly of those in need.
The woman clearly didn't have her head screwed on when it came to her defense either. She could have pleaded temporary insanity quoting "you're not you when you're hungry".
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

This has nothing to do with our country's leaders. It's all down to the stupid action of one draconian magistrate who ought to lose his position!  Shocked
I hardly think Mars are too happy being associated with such moronic action too.  Cry
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Yes she should be slapped down but, as they say, the punishment must fit the crime.
I can't help comparing this to MP's "wrongly" claiming extra thousands or bankers just helping themselves.
And what punishment did they get?
Steve
Pro

Quote from: NedLudd
This has nothing to do with our country's leaders.
It's everything to do with this country's so called leader's. Was them that set up the welfare reform. 
Going to be a happy ending though and a two fingers being firmly stuck up to that judge and the government. When people help out anythings possible and we are going to need our peoples help. It's us or them so..
£14,225GBP raised by 1,366 people in 4 days to help this woman out.  goals been hit at £500.00 rest will go to food banks.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a-small-gesture-of-solidarity#/story
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It is a sad situation indeed, and hunger does drive some to desperation, be it stealing or even the "freegan" thing of skip-diving for perfectly edible food that shops just throw away, and she's charged £328.75 for a 75p pack of mars bars when shops form little local stores to large supermarket chains who think every little helps are frankly criminally throwing food away when there are starving people they could give it to, it's just shameful... Roll eyes
But on the upside, the communal spirit shames the authorities yet again, people banding together to raise money to help out that woman and creating such an excess that even foodbanks (which are being used more and more as the financial pressures build on the poor) are benefiting, just goes to show, people are more powerful than the government... Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

There have been similar cases over the years where magistrates have made some stupid statement of given someone an inappropriate sentence, usually it's been a sentence that is too lenient.
Perhaps the answer is to have stricter assessment of the types of people who are appointed as magistrates and a simple system of removing them if they make inappropriate decisions.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: gleneagles
Perhaps the answer is to have stricter assessment of the types of people who are appointed as magistrates and a simple system of removing them if they make inappropriate decisions.

They have it, it's called vetting, but the problem is, post-vetting, a person can be influenced by things that they may not noticed they are being influenced by, say for example that day they sentenced that woman, maybe the judge had an argument with his missus and subconsciously had developed a hate for certain types of women that day, who knows, but it's the human factor sadly, one person making a a decision is a big task and if something's not right in their head for whatever reason, then the decisions they make can be flawed...
It could be a better idea to replace a lone judge with a panel of judges so that they can bounce opinions off each other to make their ultimate decision (given these smaller court sessions don't usually have juries), that way it could result in fewer miscarriages of justice aswell as re-trials to deal with a previous judge's overturned decision...
Steve
Pro

Quote from: gleneagles
According to an article that is in the independent on this subject ( only appearing in newspapers now after one spotted the crowd funding )
Frances Crook, the chief executive of the Howard League,  told the Independent  that the new compulsory court fines and charges, which were brought in by former Justice Secretary Chris Grayling shortly before the May general election, were “clearly so inequitable”.
“There is no leeway. Its a fixed charge and the courts cannot vary it because of circumstance, they have to impose it”, she explained.

She said some magistrates had resigned on principle because of the new rules but many more were imposing the charges despite knowing many defendants will be unable to pay and will have to go to prison as a result

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/famished-woman-fined-330-for-stealing-a-75p-pack-of-m...
Community Veteran

This has nothing to do with our country's leaders.

You're out of touch!
It's all down to the stupid action of one draconian magistrate who ought to lose his position!  Shocked

Magistrates tend to live in the same upper class snotty circles as our leaders.. who as stated setup the system to screw those at the bottom in the belief that somehow they will just magically survive and not have any problems - because only they at the top actually need money as they're so vulnerable.
Quote from: M
Going to be a happy ending though and a two fingers being firmly stuck up to that judge and the government. When people help out anythings possible and we are going to need our peoples help. It's us or them so..
£14,225GBP raised by 1,366 people in 4 days to help this woman out.  goals been hit at £500.00 rest will go to food banks.

BRILLIANT NEWS!!!
I must say though that I think she should see some of the remaining money - she needs food to survive and taking all that away after what she has been through seems harsh.
As for the new rules, it's just a case of the rich trying to feel their ultimate power thirst again isn't it. It's pathetic. Magistrates should start throwing these cases out instead of hearing them - thats one thing I believe they can still do but i may be wrong. I suspect our resident slightly warm hearted artmo will be able to give us more details... Gotta love him when he has his uses lol
Community Veteran

I'm not out of touch. You're just a bigot!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Lol!
Community Veteran

Wink
Geoff,
York.