Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Literary Conundrum.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

A Literary Conundrum.

Cleaning out some books and came across my old copy of 'The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn' - so thought it might be a good time to revisit those pages I used to find so hard to read even as a teenager.

What an eyeopener.

Far from being a woke warrior especially at my age but crikey blimey o'reilly with bells on, the N word was there to be read in all it's now dubious glory. Times change and some can quite happily read the likes of Shakespeare without being offended or sidetracked but this book really does take the biscuit. No wonder it has been banned in so many States across America. 

Not an easy read even if you can switch your mind over to a regional American accent, but that word just gets in the way even though you know the main character questions his own taught morality in rejection of religion and racial bias.

Had to put it down in the end.

Guy Gibson's dog in the Dam Busters referring as it did to the colour brown rather than race was one thing, but this was just a book too far.

Has this old goat finally seen the light?

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
10 REPLIES 10
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: A Literary Conundrum.

@Minivanman I've always said the "Woke" Brigade needs to shut up, I was reading a post on Facebook last week in a 70s Pop group, Boney M's hit "Brown girl in the ring" never gets played any more despite being a BIG hit back in the late 70s purely because the left objects to the term "Brown girl"! Pure madness!

Do you see? Cheesy
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Really?

That's a great song and I'd be surprised if it has been discarded in any way, but then that's facebook eh?

Thomas A. Edison
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

@Minivanman   OK... I kinda " get " what you are saying, about the things in that particular book.... but...you have to consider the wider issues here... The book was written " of the time"... a story  "of the time"... and in the vernacular "of the time"... like your comparison "Shakespeare`s" writings.

from what you are saying.. it would appear, that the story should be re-written in the modern "of the times" vernacular, to appease those idiots who can only see "personal" attacks in everything around them, and they should be compensated for the "insults" to their forbears, and ancestors.... i.e. taking advantage , which will change nothing in their history, or their forbears lives, ( seeing as they are well dead and buried by now ).

In comparison... don`t you think it strange, that there is no similar outcry for action to re-write the Holy Bible  ( protestant or catholic versions) into the "modern times of our times"...  ? ? ? ? ?

Will the children`s children of today`s "woke" people, be so insistent on changing today`s history, to make it more "comfortable" for them ? ? ?? ?  

Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

Looks like the works of Shakespeare are under woke scrutiny, apparently the English language of the period  ‘operated as a language of the coloniser’      A lot of school children will overjoyed, as I would have been................

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 80

@Champnet Two words: 'I despair'...

John
Champnet
Seasoned Champion

@jab1  To quote Shakespeare, "Discomfort guides my tongue and bids me speak of nothing but despair"

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

Good points shutter especially about the bible, but if you do (or maybe you have) read Huckleberry Finn it is rather brutal in it's use of that word which over the course of the story is used nearly two hundred times.

Anyways, not so brutal as to throw it out but it will 'go gentle into that good night' and back on the shelf... for now. 🙂

“Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.” ― Mark Twain, Huckleberry Finn

Thomas A. Edison
Champnet
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

Good points shutter especially about the bible, but if you do (or maybe you have) read Huckleberry Finn it is rather brutal in it's use of that word which over the course of the story is used nearly two hundred times.

You've counted them ?  A sign of extreme lockdown boredom..................

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Champnet 

Not at all, I read it in the forward of 2003 edition of the book. Variations of course but any on-line check will confirm with some even putting it slightly higher. 

How many times do you think the bible has been examined in a similar sort of way?

One thing I don't get is bored extreme or otherwise, I don't have time. 🙂

Thomas A. Edison
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

As a matter of fact... I have read it.... a long time ago... and not in my yoof !...

I found it a fascinating tale of hardship,and life of the times, and a wonderful adventurous spirit to survive, no matter what life threw at him.