Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Lifetime of Kiddie Care?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

A Lifetime of Kiddie Care?

A lifetime of kiddie care? 

Not at any price and besides, if those on any sort of supplementary benefit tried to claim this, it would be deducted from whatever amount they receive - or am I wrong?

Either way, you'll not find me looking after my granchildren loved or not while my own sprogs go out to work.

I should cocoa. 

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/may/18/childcare-thousands-of-grandparents-miss-out-on-a-pens...

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
13 REPLIES 13
Strat
Fixes: 506

Re: A Lifetime of Kiddie Care?

I cover a couple of hours, 2 or 3 days a week child minding a couple of my grandkids.

It could be more as I have 7 grandkids but the others live much further away.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

I don't know, we seem to have a very skewed, money orientated way at looking at 'kiddie; care. I suppose having lived in the Far East, one thing most countries that I've stayed in out there do well is looking after the very young (and old) members of the family. True, they might not have pots of money to throw around but that doesn't seem to stop the entire family taking turns in helping out. It also seem to benefit everybody. Meals times, for instance. is always a family affair. Not, here's a tray and eat in silence, face glued to the smartphone.

As to the report, £250 is hardly going to go far anyway. Whether you do lose money, only people who could tell you would be the DWP or whatever it is known by nowadays.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Which is fine, and everything as they say in moderation and we often cover for ours as and when the need arises, after all it's family, innit. But the thought of full time care as a long time arrangement?

Err, dim diolch as they say here in Wales. Smiley

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@idonno 

Strangely enough I was talking about that to the Mrs as I was posting and the idea of the whole family mucking in as it were while the more able members of the family worked the fields or whatever has merit. It's generational, it's an accepted way of life and of course, the elderly need to survive without any sort of a pension.

Quid pro quo I guess you'd call it, or needs and circumstance must.

Mav
Fixes: 431

Looking after my two grandchildren (3.5 and 6 weeks) is a special pleasure which would be tainted by any recompense. Isn't that what grandparents are for; doing new things with the children, enjoying their company in such a different way that you did with your own child(ren) and treating them.

After time with my two my daughter thanks me but I always say the thanks should be from me as the time with them is precious.

My former step-daughter has two children  (5 & 7) who have adopted me as their own granddad which I class as a privilege.

Of course, the extra benefit is giving them back when they've exhausted youCheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Indeed @Mav that's how it should be, and well said. Wink

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Mav Does the older one enjoy hearing your stories from the olden days, which in his/her case is anything before 2010? Laugh

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Shocked to hear my nearly forty year old daughter tell me she had never heard of Chernobyl disaster, should I have been?

She's been watching the series about it on television and it scared the socks of her yet for me it's like recent history - but then as a 1950s kid the second world war seemed further back than the dawn of time, whenever that was. One strong memory I have is of one of the 'Aunts' in the Home (hair up in a Victory Roll) banging out the Dambusters theme tune on an old piano.

Perspectives eh, what are they like. 

Mav

Yes, I remember Chernobyl like it was yesterday although it was 33 year ago! I think it was getting on for two days after the explosions that the USSR finally admitted there had been a catastrophe at the nuclear plant.

As my wife is Ukrainian I have asked her to come with me to visit Pripyat the town built in the 70's to house the workers at the nuclear power station. Apparently the radiation levels are low enough for short visits in what looks like an eerie ghost town left untouched since the townsfolk were evacuated.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Mav

@Jonpe wrote:

@Mav Does the older one enjoy hearing your stories from the olden days, which in his/her case is anything before 2010? Laugh

Kids today seem more interesting in Snapchat, Whatsapp and Facebook than listen to stories of yesteryear.

I remember when visiting my granddad back in the 60's listening to stories of his First World War exploits with fascination. Especially the one about when there was an explosion behind him and he looked back to see a crater where his comrades were. As a child it all seemed adventurous and exciting but, as I grew up, I realised what a devastating effect his experiences must have had on him.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Mav wrote:

Yes, I remember Chernobyl like it was yesterday although it was 33 year ago! I think it was getting on for two days after the explosions that the USSR finally admitted there had been a catastrophe at the nuclear plant.

I think I've still got a pre-Chernobyl leg of lamb in the freezer.

Well that's what I say to guests anytime I get frozen lamb out to defrost for a meal.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Worth watching if you have Sky, it really is quite frighting even if only half true for the sake of dramatisation. 

Bad at the time but more about that cloud drifting over Europe and of course keeping it as secret as they could. 

“I’ve been assured there’s no problem,” the bureaucrat says. “I’m telling you that there is,” Khomyuk replies. “I prefer my opinion to yours,” he says. “I’m a nuclear physicist,” she counters, adding, “Before you were deputy secretary, you worked in a shoe factory.”

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/may/07/chernobyl-review-chaos-reigns-in-confusing-nucl...

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I remember my grandparents' tales from the war seemed so long ago, but when I first started hearing them, the war had only been over for some 15 years, which to me now is a fairly short time so it would have seemed like yesterday to them.  We were talking about 9/11 at work a year or two ago and one of my colleagues said, "I vaguely remember it, I was about seven at the time".  That made me feel really old.

It isn't just fairly recent history 'the young ones' are out of touch with, I 'accidentally' caught an episode of some celebrity dating show, and one of the non-celeb guys said he came from Wales, to which his date replied, "That's an island isn't it, how do you get off it, is there a bridge or did you fly?"  Another guy saying he came from Southampton got the response, "What is it?"  When he said it was on the south coast, his date replied, "Yes, but what is it?"

Unbelievable!