cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Homeless Man's Funeral. . .

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

A Homeless Man's Funeral. . .

I saw this one recently which I rather liked!
As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery in a small country town.
As I was not familiar with the back roads, I got lost and, being a typical man, I didn't stop for directions. I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral director guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch.
I felt badly and apologised to the men for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn't know what else to do, so I started to play.
The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I played like I've never played before for this homeless man. And as I played 'Amazing Grace,' the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept... we all wept together. When I finished I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full.
As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, "I’ve never seen nothin' like that before and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."
Apparently I'm still lost....
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: A Homeless Man's Funeral. . .

That's wonderful jelv, had me in tears of laughter at the end....
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
thisoldman
Grafter

Smiley  very good jelv.    this one is quite similiar.

I saw benny about to tee off at the golf club so i went over to have a wee chat with him,as I hadnt seen him for some time.
As we spoke, a funeral cortege passed us by.
Benny stopped speaking, closed his eyes, crossed himself and appeared to be silently praying.

A few moments later i said to him, "gee benny that was nice ,I didnot know you were religious?"
Ah well he said it was the wife.
Community Veteran

Good one jelv.  Thanks Grin