cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Good Cuppa

Community Veteran

A Good Cuppa

How long do you let your teabag brew in the pot to get a good cup of tea?
It's 25 seconds according to one expert but this is contradicted according to the tea companies.
Brewing a cuppa
Also it has been found a better tasting cuppa comes from a pyramid teabag than a round one:
Pyramid or Round
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: A Good Cuppa

I don`t "brew" tea in a cup/mug..... I use a tea pot.... got a "single" brew metal one.... (like you get in tea rooms/cafe)... and also a big brown rotund one for when we have guests, (or I fancy more than two cups !..)....
One off... usually about 25 to 30 seconds.... then pour it ..... also top up immediately in case I want a top up ..... in a hurry, and need a strong brew.... two teabags in the small pot and pour almost immediately.... again instant top-up of the pot for a second cup....
the shape of the tea bag doesn`t alter the "brew"... only the quality of the tea can do that..... ( or quantity of tea vis a vis quantity of water - see above )...
Fixes: 47

I guess between about 30 seconds and a minute....but I don't put a stop watch on it.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I don`t "brew" tea in a cup/mug..... I use a tea pot.

Me too. I can't stand a cup of tea that has been made with the teabag dunked in the cup. It's got to be made in a teapot. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I often think that "drowning" a tea bag in a mug, and calling it tea. is an insult to tea drinkers.... who would not ever consider drinking tea straight from the spout of a tea pot..  the tea needs to brew in a pot, to give the water time to cool down from boiling point in a controlled manner.. ( Warming the pot, prior to brewing, slows this process down a little to encourage the tea leaves to produce the tannin, and flavour)... then the temperature of the water is further reduced to an acceptable/drinkable temperature, by pouring it, from the pot, into the drinking receptacle.... usually, a china cup or mug..
Whichever, you should always put the milk in the cup first.... this started off initially, because the early china would break if boiling hot (water) tea was poured into the cup.... Milk in tea was introduced to stop this happening...
Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@shutter, nice one
In the morning tea made in a teapot with fine cut, toasted and curled  loose Assam leaves, brewed for a minute for the first cup, with a  slice of lime, lemon or wedge of orange! added to the cup first.
Ever tried black tea with a cut wedge of orange? it is addictive!
Afternoon course cut and dried Darjeeling brewed for full minute with milk.
Never with  teabags, never a blended tea!
TORPC
Grafter

Ah!!!
So that could explain why dad (god rest him) always warmed the pot
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter

Whichever, you should always put the milk in the cup first....

Put the milk in last so that you can adjust the quantity dependent on the strength of tea Wink
Community Veteran

I brew mine for the time it takes between putting the teabag in, reading my emails then realising I've left the tea brewing in the kitchen.
Anything between 5 and 15 minutes  Grin
On Friday, I put a cup on to brew, got distracted by the leaking toilet above the kitchen, stripped the toilet down, drove to B&Q for the replacement parts and finished the tea off (still warm) when I got home  Grin
Community Veteran

Strat when I grew up in Yorkshire we didn't brew the tea but we mashed it. Is that still said?Huh

It's dropped out of use quite a bit.....possibly with the advance of coffee.
Fixes: 121

From when I was very young till probably early teens tea was always brewed in a pot using loose tea. The pot was preheated only by water from the freshly boiled kettle, swished around for 5 or 10 seconds then tipped away. But milk and sugar was always added to the cup first. But why did the strainer never catch all the leaves Undecided I hated the last few drops Angry
I don't drink tea any more but SWMBO does as does my mother but haven't seen a teapot for years.
SWMBO has just told me that in Ukraine everyone drinks black tea - never with milk -  but sometimes with sugar added but often with honey (and lemon).

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 101

tea only comes out for visitors.. and they can make their own Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks

I've had quite a bit of Indian tea....and made a few cups with the milk, water, Cardamoms and Cassia Bark.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Gosh there are some posh folk on this forum, teapots, cups .?
I bet you even use saucers and teaspoons.
Wink