A Flash Clog Dance in Newcastle

pierre_pierre
Grafter

A Flash Clog Dance in Newcastle

just watched the tail end of a program on BBC four it will be repeated
12 Dec 23:25 to 0035
16 Dec 19:30 to 20:30
2 Jan 2011 00:55 to 01:55
DOCUMENTARY: Come Clog Dancing: Treasures of English Folk Dance)
In the last decades of the 19th century there was a dance, now rarely seen, that resounded through the collieries and pit villages of the north east of England - the clog dance. For conductor and musician Charles Hazlewood, it has become an obsession and he plans to put it back on the map by staging a mass flashmob clog dance. Helped by a team of local enthusiasts led by clog dancer Laura Connolly, Charles recruits and trains 140 men and women from across the north east to ambush the public with a six-minute performance in Newcastle.

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=17639
Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
2 REPLIES
alanb
Grafter

Re: A Flash Clog Dance in Newcastle

Sounds like an opportunity for a new TV series: Strictly Come Clog Dancing!  Grin
N/A

Re: A Flash Clog Dance in Newcastle

Oh Pierre - what a coincidence - I too was going to post on this as I saw the latter half last night.  Going to record it tonight on BBC4 to watch the whole thing through or will watch it in BBC iPlayer HERE. Wasn't sure that people here would be interested so glad that you liked it.
It was a super programme hosted by my very favourite Charles Hazlewood.  It goes to show that we have our own working class traditions that really should be celebrated more.
I would love to have one in Sheffield and would be off like a shot to see it.  Maybe a good idea for Plusnet promotion?
After that I used the iPlayer to watch Still Folk Dancing After All These Years and thoroughly enjoyed that as well.
Two lovely sisters from the north east made and hosted the programme and they were super.  Who needs these highly paid and pampered Christine Bleakley types when there are such excellent ordinary people that can do the job just as well?  It made one proud to be British and lovely to see our history and eccentricities celebrated.