Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Duty of Care

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Re: A Duty of Care

@MKSlinky

@Mav

I cannot imagine what it must have been like to be in a situation like that.

Sadly this is not uncommon and things should never have been allowed to get to this state, some of the things you mention are down to incompetence and action should be taken against those responsible. If the cause is lack of trained staff such incidents should be reported by the staff themselves to senior managers who should take the necessary action.

Quite likely many such reports are ignored as trusts seek top status and such recorded incidents will stop them getting that. Not uncommon to see a hospital getting good reports and then suddenly finding, 'special measures' are taking place to prevent errors that have come to light, usually from patient groups or staff approaching the press directly.

Not far from us is morecambe bay trust put into special measures several years ago following the preventable deaths of a number of babies in the maternity unit.

I cannot see things ever improving, most people with money don't care they can always pay for private treatment but the vast majority of people who will get old one day will not have this option.

I just hope I have a quick exit, I imagine there is nothing worse than spending your last days than in the situations you both have described.

I am sorry both of you have had to experience seeing someone close to you go through that and I am sorry there is nothing I can do to prevent this happening to others

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@gleneagles wrote:

@MKSlinky

@Mav

I cannot imagine what it must have been like to be in a situation like that.

Sadly this is not uncommon and things should never have been allowed to get to this state, some of the things you mention are down to incompetence and action should be taken against those responsible. If the cause is lack of trained staff such incidents should be reported by the staff themselves to senior managers who should take the necessary action.

You're absolutely right on all counts, the trouble is like many hospitals wards are staffed by immigrants, not that I have anything against them. The problem we faced with my dad's care was that the immigrant workers lacked communication skills. For instance my dad was very deaf and wore a hearing aid in each ear. Often we would see staff talking to him from the foot of the bed and you could see quite obviously he couldn't hear what they were saying. Other times we found his hearing aids had been removed and laid on the bedside table rendering him completely deaf. We mentioned this to staff time and time again but for the most part we got vague looks of disinterest. 

During the many meetings we had with staff and ward managers we raised all our concerns and although they promised to make changes nothing happened. Of course we were also told we must involve PALS if we wanted to make anything official but even that had little affect.

Hospitals are so consumed by red tape what hope does a patient or their family have of bringing people to account? We tried but got nowhere and at a time when emotions are running high the last thing you need or want to do is enter into some lengthy battle with an unsympathetic hospital authority. 

Quite likely many such reports are ignored as trusts seek top status and such recorded incidents will stop them getting that. Not uncommon to see a hospital getting good reports and then suddenly finding, 'special measures' are taking place to prevent errors that have come to light, usually from patient groups or staff approaching the press directly.

Again I couldn't agree more but hospitals have a terrible habit of losing letters when people complain so what can be done? I don't think anyone could change the NHS, it's an ancient antiquated system which lacks funding or proper support from our government. Hey but hasn't it always been that way? 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@MKSlinky

Not sure about your last statement,' hey but hasn't it always been that way'?

The standards in hospital 40 or 50 years ago were in my opinion much higher, true there was not all the modern equiptment we have these days but hospitals in those days were run by a Matron & Ward sisters who had total control of patient care and those in training would soon be out on their ear if they were not up to a certain standard.

Most of those working in hospitals those days really wanted to do the job and did their learning on site and in schools of nursing, sadly these days it's just a job to some people, the care element is way down the list.

Many may not agree with my comments but I would rather be cared for by nurses of days gone by than many of those providing care these days, of course there are many good staff about these days but the percentage of those staff are much lower than they once were.

Despite the introduction of,'modern matrons' that is just a gimmic to make the public think something is being done but a change of title changes nothing.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@gleneagles wrote:

@MKSlinky

Not sure about your last statement,' hey but hasn't it always been that way'?

Although you didn't mention this in your reply to my comment, I was merely saying that hospitals have always been under funded and not given the support they need from government.

I do agree with your latest comments though, like you I would much prefer the treatment of yesteryear than what patients get now which is completely lacking in even the most basic of needs. How often do we hear about patients laying in their own urine or faeces for 12 hours? Too often if you ask me. Did you know that hospitals no longer wash patients or clean their teeth for them? That's what happened with my dad. We were told that cleaning teeth was against Health and Safety as a patient might swallow the brush, utter BS if you ask me.

I mentioned immigrant workers earlier, what I failed to mention was that the entire ward my dad was in was staffed by them. Only one of about 10 staff could actually speak clear English, the rest were somewhere in between English and their own dialect. My dad struggled to hear people but he had no hope when they sounded like complete aliens to him.

Yes 21st Century hospitals are all smoke and mirrors! Undecided