Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Decade of Digital Dependency - Ofcom Report

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 113

A Decade of Digital Dependency - Ofcom Report

This report here is interesting

I really like the stat that shows that Desktop PC usage went from 69% in 2008 to 28%in 2018

Our data suggests that whilst mobile activity (mobile and tablet combined) accounts for about 40% connectivity with desktop activity at 60% it accounts for around only 20% of page views.

How do you guys use the community? do you access via mobile or via desktop usually?

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
23 REPLIES 23
Community Veteran

Re: A Decade of Digital Dependency - Ofcom Report

Mainly by laptop. Some times by desktop and rarely by mobile.
Fixes: 387

Predominantly and preferably via a floor standing PC but with occasional laptop or mobile access.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 73.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
jab1
Hero
Fixes: 22

90% of my internet activity is via my laptop, with the rest being through my iPad. For sites such as the community (or other forums/similar sites), I would say 99% of the access is via the laptop - a tablet is just not big enough for me to use constantly.

John
198kHz
Hero
Fixes: 17

Normally about 50-50 desktop (upstairs) and laptop (downstairs).

Might have a quick peek on phone if away.

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires an algorithm.
Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 107

About 50:50 PC and Ipad

Community Veteran
Fixes: 30

@JonoH wrote:

Our data suggests that whilst mobile activity (mobile and tablet combined) accounts for about 40% connectivity with desktop activity at 60% it accounts for around only 20% of page views.

SO ,,,....  How do you collect data..that shows what kind of computer is being used ?   or is that just "educated guesswork"... because if it is the second choice, that explains the question

... How do you guys use the community? do you access via mobile or via desktop usually?

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 113

@shutter wrote:

SO ,,,....  How do you collect data..that shows what kind of computer is being used ?   or is that just "educated guesswork"... because if it is the second choice, that explains the question

Lithium provide us with the a comprehensive reporting suite that allows us to monitor things like what device types customers access the forums on, how long they stay online and heaps of other useful data that we use to prioritise updates to the community.

Personally I'd like to see some work done to optimise the forums for mobile use, especially as the trend continues for people to use the internet more and more on mobile and tablet devices.

Devices.png

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Community Veteran

I assume laptops are included i desktop in the charts.

Why would you want to optisise the forums for mobiles?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Always by desktop pc.

"Optimising" for mobiles usually means virtually unusable for PC's.

Some sites have become what can only be described as laughably bad messes of massive white areas populated by giant buttons.

Many of today's phones are more than capable of accessing the internet as is, maybe with a bit of occasional zooming. Even those users must be disappointed with how some sites have been "optimised".

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 848

In my opinion, optimising for mobile use doesn't necessarily have to mean that the desktop site is changed. I think it would be useful if there were more features available via a phone or tablet that there are when you use a laptop or desktop.

For example, there's no rich text editor on a phone so quoting things etc can be difficult.

I use a range of devices from a desktop to laptop(Using one as I type) to a phone. Mobile devices are useful when you're out and about, or if you don't own a laptop or desktop. 

Optimising the forums for mobile use I don't think is a bad idea as it makes the Community more inclusive too.

Just my two cents.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 127

For me, vast majority of my personal browsing sits firmly in the mobile quarter. I rely very much on things being 'fed' to me though. Whether that's RSS feeds, Reddit, social media apps or something else. Most of my time on Community is via mobile.
At work, and probably unsurprisingly, I'm firmly affixed to a laptop or desktop, normally with ad-hoc remote access to a few other machines.
@Gandalf, I believe the rich text WYSIWYG editor can be enabled round these parts. I personally found it very clunky though when using anything less than a 7" screen. On tablet, you should already have access to it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 22

@Gandalf I agree that there should be optimisation for phones/tablets, but this should not be at the expense of those of us who primarily use a desktop/laptop,

Some sites - Twitter/FB? have both mobile and traditional sites - a much more inclusive set-up?

John
ffox
Pro

About 70% desktop, 20% smartTV/Youview and 10% tablet.  The mobile screen and virtual keyboard are rather small for geriatrics, so please don't overdo the mobile optimisation.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 848

@bobpullen wrote:
@Gandalf, I believe the rich text WYSIWYG editor can be enabled round these parts. I personally found it very clunky though when using anything less than a 7" screen. On tablet, you should already have access to it.

Yeah I've used the "request desktop site" feature on my iPhone X before, but while it enables the rich text editor I agree it makes it very clunky, and scrolling down the editor is so jumpy it's difficult to use though that may be an iOS problem.

@jab1 wrote:

@Gandalf I agree that there should be optimisation for phones/tablets, but this should not be at the expense of those of us who primarily use a desktop/laptop,

Some sites - Twitter/FB? have both mobile and traditional sites - a much more inclusive set-up?

Aye that's what I was thinking.

What we need is a Community Forum app. :tongue: I'd go for that over a mobile site.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team