Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Decade of Digital Dependency - Ofcom Report

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: A Decade of Digital Dependency - Ofcom Report

@jab1 wrote:

but this should not be at the expense of those of us who primarily use a desktop/laptop

That's why a lot of site uses facts and figures are often pointless.

Trash a site for pc's and we get - Oh look our site is mostly used by mobiles.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

@JonoH wrote:

How do you guys use the community? do you access via mobile or via desktop usually?

100 % Mobile/tablet. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

@Gandalf wrote:

For example, there's no rich text editor on a phone so quoting things etc can be difficult.

If you use Chrome or Firefox (probably others browsers too, but that's what I use) you can just use the "Request Desktop Site" function to get round that on mobile

Oops, just seen your reply in post #15...

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 1

95% laptop as I can't use a tablet for working. We no longer have a desk top pc.

the 5% of time I use my tablet and occasionally phone to check emails and very occasionally a few website if I get a notification of a reply to a thread. 

Highlighted
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 113

@artmo wrote:
I assume laptops are included i desktop in the charts.

Yes they are

Why would you want to optisise the forums for mobiles?

The kind of mobile optimisation that I was talking about wouldn't detract in any way from the desktop/laptop version of the site. It would instead simply make it easier for people who do access the forums from their mobiles but currently don't stay very long, or view very much.

As someone who uses our site via mobile most days I can say it's not very user friendly.

@billnotben wrote:

"Optimising" for mobiles usually means virtually unusable for PC's.

Absolutely, and that's the opposite of what I'm after, simply something that is designed for and displays differently depending on how you access it.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Self 75% Android Tablet, 10% Desktop (Linux only) 10% TV & 5% Internet Radio.

Wife 90% ipad. 10% iphone.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 117

I wonder if the Lithium statistics are affected by how users use the forum. I use a ‘proper ‘ pc in my office and one of two IPads downstairs. It’s not unusual for me to leave one device logged in whilst using another because, for example I have gone downstairs for a cuppa. As a result the time logged in is pretty meaningless. I note that if left it’s many hours before an unused connection is automatically logged off.

Pleas don’t improve access to phones at the expense of PCs and tablets.

Highlighted
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 113

@Baldrick1 wrote:

I wonder if the Lithium statistics are affected by how users use the forum. I use a ‘proper ‘ pc in my office and one of two IPads downstairs. It’s not unusual for me to leave one device logged in whilst using another because, for example I have gone downstairs for a cuppa. As a result the time logged in is pretty meaningless.

I take no stock in that statistic, that's why I shared, logged ins by device type, page views by device type and unique visits by device type.

It's pretty clear to me that we're almost half of our connections are viewing just 20% of the page views. whats not clear on if that's because the layout is clunky and poorly optimised for their device type or if it's for some other reason.

Pleas don’t improve access to phones at the expense of PCs and tablets.

I agree that that would be a terrible idea, if we go down the route of doing anything at all, (and I'm not saying we will).

I'd want them to recognise your device type and offer you an experience catered for it, mobiles would get a mobile optimised version and desktops would get one optimised for desktops and crucially each would be able to request that it displays like the other to ensure you got the experience you wanted.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
All Star
Fixes: 2

Shame there’s not a statistic showing device by age....

Do the younger generation use desktops/laptops ?