Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Bunch of Happy Souls...

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

A Bunch of Happy Souls...

Great British eccentrics...
From collecting toy soldiers and a mountain measurer, to visiting bandstands and photographing follies, the 40 'boring' Brits are all passionate about things, which others think are dull.
If they're Happy, and they know it, what's the problem ?
We all love our Boys Toys don't we ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3253205/Are-DULLEST-men-Britain.html
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: A Bunch of Happy Souls...

Whilst retired doctor Simon Barley, from the Lake District, has an unusual handsaw hobby and is now one of the world's foremost authorities on the subject.
He has collected around 1,500 handsaws and completed a PhD and written a book on the subject.

James Brown, from Heanor in Derbyshire, who has collected 300 vacuum cleaners

First class: Peter Willis, 67, from Worcester, whose mission is to photograph as many of Britain's post boxes

Shocked
Rob Woodall, from Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, who earned a place in the book after becoming the world's leading trig bagger. His aim is to visit all 6,100 trig pillars in Britain and has just 20 more to go

What on earth is a trii.. Hang on.. i'm not sure i want to know... lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Just thought.. does that make plusnet a dull old man too? - he's showing advertsd on tv about spoon wittling  Cheesy
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: 7up
Rob Woodall, from Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, who earned a place in the book after becoming the world's leading trig bagger. His aim is to visit all 6,100 trig pillars in Britain and has just 20 more to go

What on earth is a trii.. Hang on.. i'm not sure i want to know... lol

I assume it's a typo and you mean trig. If that's the case it show that you have never walked up a major hill https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangulation_station
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've a collection of telephones, vacuum cleaners, computers, and other bits and pieces, if the daily "everything gives you cancer!!!" fail says I'm dull, then they shall remain bum-fodder... Cool
itsme
Grafter

Referring to the the earlier post on trig pillars
I have one of these on my house

Which I recently found out that these are no longer used
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Don't think it's just the English, I Wonder what a collector of the little sticky labels from Bananas is called?
I heard recently of a collection changing hands for a 6 figure sum.
I've met Manfred Eidenschink. http://www.eidenschink-zell.de/html/index.html until he said he collected Banana sticker labels I thought he was quite a normal sort of person.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

all sorts of people from all over the world collect odd things, there was a guy from Connecticut on the TV last year who collected the teeth from dead animals (both hunted and road kill) and stored them in jars .....
I don't personally have any wacky collections but an awful lot of people are into things like trading cards, trumps and of course war hammer, one guy I used to work with would spend up to a grand a month buying figures up to 4ft tall and then spend weeks decorating them (proper anorak stuff) another fella spent weeks traveling around with a butterfly net so he could mount them in display cases ..... and of course you get the good old spotters out n about regularly although not as many as in past years Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
I don't personally have any wacky collections

You mean your posts on the plusnet forums don't count?  Huh Cheesy