Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Boeing 747 lands on aircraft carrier

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

A Boeing 747 lands on aircraft carrier

The wrong way !....

also the take-off looks a bit scary.... ( at least they managed to turn it round to fly off the proper way )... ( no catapult needed either ! ! )...
Meanwhile.... a private plane  ( Fixed Wing )...  lands on a tanker, in the English Channel.... and takes off again...

.be
15 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: A Boeing 747 lands on aircraft carrier

not sure which variant but they used to do this quite regularly with 737's, the trick was to have the carrier drive into the wind at 30 knots in order to increase airflow for the take off, but it was only possible on the yank carrier's since there a wee bit larger than anyone else's  Wink
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Quote from: shutter
The wrong way !....

Excellent simulation!  On You Tube there are also several simulations of B737s 'landing' on an aircraft carrier.
There used to be an airshow stunt where a pilot touched down on to a moving truck. A small platform had been built on the the truck to take the light aircraft.
I saw that at Biggin Hill but I can't find it on YouTube.

Now that WAS real!
jim:green inadvertent quote and edit corrected mod:end
Community Veteran

Here is the "proper" way to land on a carrier......
With a 747 .... of course...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: nanotm
not sure which variant but they used to do this quite regularly with 737's

You do realise that the first video was a flight sim don't you?
You can't really land a commercial airliner on a military aircraft carrier. It doesn't work.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

yes I'm perfectly aware its a flight sim
I'm also referring to actual occurrences in the past, and I'm not sure which variant it was that they used for the job and I also am aware that each variant has some significant differences that change its capabilities rather drastically, as for landing a commercial jetliner on an aircraft carrier, its something that was done more than once in non emergency situations in the past, however its only possible on the larger carriers (and the last one capable of it was decommissioned some years ago) certainly the British carrier couldn't of managed it as they were all far to small.
and it always amazes me that people forget the airport in Hong Kong isn't any larger than a carrier strip, indeed it was used to train pilots for carrier landings on larger aircraft, the theory being if you could manage it when there was land nearby you could do it on the open ocean.
if that were a real landing of a commercial jetliner the deck would of been clear so that there was no collision problems with engines and fighters etc....

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

A Boeing 747-400 needs about 2,180m  to land and about 3.020m  to take off.
It will have to be a pretty enormous aircraft carrier to accomodate that aircraft.
The US Nimitz Class carrier, although huge only manages a length of 333m.
Incidently HKG International Airport runways are about 3,800m.
itsme
Grafter

and it always amazes me that people forget the airport in Hong Kong isn't any larger than a carrier strip, indeed it was used to train pilots for carrier landings on larger aircraft, the theory being if you could manage it when there was land nearby you could do it on the open ocean

Both the old and new airport are considerable longer than a carrier being over 3000m. What made it difficult for the old airport was flying lower and between buildings.
x47c
Grafter

....which indeed was one of the many driving forces behind moving the airport - that they needed to maintain a clearway though the skyscrapers for the approaching aircraft so in effect could not build under the flight path.
I miss Kai Tak...fond memories from the 1980's......
Fixes: 47

That was fun

I was beginning to think there wasn't a runway.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

This one (at dawn)... looks to be coming down in the opposite direction...

Of course, it could be at the new airport... as it was published 2012 !  Roll eyes
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

not sure which variant but they used to do this quite regularly with 737's, the trick was to have the carrier drive into the wind at 30 knots in order to increase airflow for the take off, but it was only possible on the yank carrier's since there a wee bit larger than anyone else's  Wink

No way.
Community Veteran

Quote from: cyrilclark1
not sure which variant but they used to do this quite regularly with 737's, the trick was to have the carrier drive into the wind at 30 knots in order to increase airflow for the take off, but it was only possible on the yank carrier's since there a wee bit larger than anyone else's  Wink

No way.

Exactly what I thought. I think nanotm is making a few things up to make himself sound "in the know".

Boeing 737-600 has the shortest take off distance of all the 737s according to the linked page for the above image.
According to wikipedias "Worlds longest ships" page none of them have exceeded 500 metres:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world%27s_longest_ships
I'm also referring to actual occurrences in the past, and I'm not sure which variant it was that they used for the job and I also am aware that each variant has some significant differences that change its capabilities rather drastically,

A few posts ago you were very sure that it was a 737.
as for landing a commercial jetliner on an aircraft carrier, its something that was done more than once in non emergency situations in the past, however its only possible on the larger carriers (and the last one capable of it was decommissioned some years ago) certainly the British carrier couldn't of managed it as they were all far to small.

This is utter rubbish. First of all you can't name any specific incidents just "its something that was done more than once". Secondly you claim it's only possible on the larger carriers - none of which meet 500m in length (and the 737 I mention above needs 1342m to land) and finally.. what do you think the aircraft carriers tower would be in the way of? - WINGS. Commercial airlines have wide wingspans. The width of any aircraft carrier in existence or previously in existence has never been wide enough to get the tower out of the way of the wings.
and it always amazes me that people forget the airport in Hong Kong isn't any larger than a carrier strip, indeed it was used to train pilots for carrier landings on larger aircraft, the theory being if you could manage it when there was land nearby you could do it on the open ocean.

No, it was never the size of an aircraft carrier, it was a diffficult landing site because planes had to come in with two large buildings in the way and then perform a sharp turn to line up with the runway - something only very skilled pilots could master.
if that were a real landing of a commercial jetliner the deck would of been clear so that there was no collision problems with engines and fighters etc....

Yet clearly you've not watched the first link shutter posted otherwise you'd have seen the wings go through the carriers tower and seen this as a real life issue  Roll eyes

Sorry nanotm, you've just your credibility in this topic.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I'm sure light aircrafts such as cessena's and saratoga's could land on a aircraft carrier if needed to in a emergency situation.
A friend of mine takes off from Newcastle on some days to get to work in Hull (uses Humberside airport) and only uses a quarter or even less than of the runway to take off.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran

But nano wasn't talking of smaller private / commercial aircraft, he was claiming that the larger commercial airliners could use an aircraft carrier such as the boeing 737.
I think we're all aware that smaller aircraft require smaller runways. Heck I'm pretty sure you could land a helicopter on an aircraft carrier too Wink